using ECA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Have some ECA coming to make small batch of bologna. Anybody know how much to use per lb? Making small batch first to see if this is what I'm looking for. 

Use: Use 8 to 12 ozs. per 100 lbs. of meat. To achieve a 4.9 pH, use 12 oz. per 100 lbs. of meat.
DO NOT REGRIND once mixed into product. http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-2458-encapsulated-citric-acid.aspx

Adding ECA to the ground product is the very last thing you do before stuffing... The capsules melt at ~ 130 F and the CA is then distributed through the meat... When using ECA, a grinder/stuffer is not recommended.... Use only a piston type stuffer....

There is a note saying it acts as a nitrite accelerator... I don't know how that is possible, since the CA is still encapsulated and has not come in contact with the meat.
If someone can explain their logic, I would like to know how that works....

Dave

Last edited:
how about 2.3 grams to 3.4 grams per pound....

Buzzy.... time for a grams scale if you are getting involved in this stuff... $10 or so.... maybe less... Very worth it....

Well Dave if it turns out the taste & texture I want I will take your advice an get 1.

THANKS for the guidance! 

how about 2.3 grams to 3.4 grams per pound....

Buzzy.... time for a grams scale if you are getting involved in this stuff... $10 or so.... maybe less... Very worth it....
yeahthat.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky