Uses for leftover brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
For Thanksgiving I smoked a duck and a home made ham. This whetted my appetite to I finally brought out a brisket I had been waiting for a rainy day to use. Funnily enough, the day I brought it out was, indeed, rainy!

Smoked for 2.5 hours ish over hardwood charcoal and pecan wood. Basic rub of kosher salt and black pepper. When the temp stalled I pulled it out, placed on a deep baking tray, covered with foil, and finished off overnight in the oven. All 3 of us happily nommed down a load that night, but there was a fair chunk left.

I used red wine to deglaze the baking pan and kept all the juices. A couple of nights later I hand cut some chips (fries) and oven baked them. Cut up some of the remaining brisket and reheated it in the pan sauce. Added some corn starch to the pan sauce to make a gravy. Poured over the chips.

Holy wow. Amazeballs. 10/10 would definitely do again. No pictures because we stuffed our faces with it :emoji_laughing:

What's "left over" brisket?
I do know what frozen vac sealed brisket is, but left over?

Breakfast burritos! Lynden farms potatoes O'Brien, shredded cheddar, scrambled eggs, and shredded brisket wrapped in a nice tortilla. :emoji_yum:

Reactions: JLeonard
For Thanksgiving I smoked a duck and a home made ham. This whetted my appetite to I finally brought out a brisket I had been waiting for a rainy day to use. Funnily enough, the day I brought it out was, indeed, rainy!

Smoked for 2.5 hours ish over hardwood charcoal and pecan wood. Basic rub of kosher salt and black pepper. When the temp stalled I pulled it out, placed on a deep baking tray, covered with foil, and finished off overnight in the oven. All 3 of us happily nommed down a load that night, but there was a fair chunk left.

I used red wine to deglaze the baking pan and kept all the juices. A couple of nights later I hand cut some chips (fries) and oven baked them. Cut up some of the remaining brisket and reheated it in the pan sauce. Added some corn starch to the pan sauce to make a gravy. Poured over the chips.

Holy wow. Amazeballs. 10/10 would definitely do again. No pictures because we stuffed our faces with it :emoji_laughing:
chop some brisket, and add some diced tomato and blackeyed peas. Now take some cabbage leaf and put some of the mixture in the leasf and roll it sealing the ends. place in baking tray or whatever and add some beef broth. Bake in the oven or smoke at 325f for 40 minutes.

Best use for left over brisket is Chili. With only two of use, there is always plenty left over. I just parcel it out into what's needed for a full 8 quart pot of Chili, vac seal and freeze. Definitely love smoked brisket chili.

Best use for left over brisket is Chili. With only two of use, there is always plenty left over. I just parcel it out into what's needed for a full 8 quart pot of Chili, vac seal and freeze. Definitely love smoked brisket chili.
This is my favorite way once temperatures drop.
I've even overcooked a flat so it would be crumbly to make chili with. Garrantied winner at a United Way work chili cook off.

Flat doesn't need to be overcooked though. I make 1/4 slices then dice into small cubes. They tend to break up nicely. Also put some larger pieces in.

lots of good suggestions here!

Another suggestion if you have uncooked brisket: instead of smoking it, it makes fantastic stews or pot roast, as well as making a very nice steak and ale pie.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky