• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

useing blackberry wood for smoking

macka

Joined Dec 19, 2010
Anyone used blackberry wood for smoking,If you have was it good,light or heavy flavor?

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010

While I can't say for sure if he meant that or not, but Blackberry/Blueberry has been tried by some. As well as mulberry. 

If it's a harder wood, it's probably got a little stronger flavor profile than mulberry. Mulberry is light, and good with sausage, chicken, etc. 

I read on another forum, a guy tried and said it had a mild/mild-heavy flavor. He mentioned it was similar to a light "grape". 

nwdave

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 9, 2009
That would be interesting to find out.  Blackberry vines would become an endangered species.  Except for you city dwellers, I'll bet most of us live within two minutes of blackberry vines.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 6, 2009
I have domesticated blackberries and I do not allow the vines that bore fruit last year to hang around the garden.  They get cut out after harvest and burned.  We have a problem with double blossom disease and it is controlled by removing the old vines as soon as possible.  That is the reason I have never tried them in a smoke.

Al

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
So if you use that wood do you get email all the time you are smoking

macka

Joined Dec 19, 2010
Alblancher,I have thornless blackberries. I just cut away last year canes,that's what I'm thinking about using.The  base of the largest canes are about 2 to 3in in diameter. When I use then I'll post the results. Thanks to all.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 6, 2009
Man, you got some big butt blackberries,  my canes seldom get anywhere near that big around.

djjubbajubba

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 25, 2017
So, has anyone tried this yet? This post is from a few years ago. I just cut down a plant that had a lot of stray, dead canes. I would love to try them in the smoker after a little seasoning time.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.