USDA Choice Shoulder Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Just a heads up for those who live in the area, but KJ's, which is a more localized grocer primarily in South Carolina, has USDA Choice boneless shoulder roast for $3.99/lb. advertised this week. What I find interesting about this is that KJ's never advertises choice beef, but this week they are. I went to the store and asked the meat department manager if it was truly choice and he said it was. Got him to cut me a couple and here's one...

Shoulder Roast.jpg

Preferred Angus is what they sell as their "better" beef, but it's never labeled "choice". At the price of beef these days, I had to get a couple and may go back and get a couple more. I wish that they were a little bigger, but he cut me what he considers the best part...

It really has become a get what you can get when it comes to groceries. These days that's a great score.

It really has become a get what you can get when it comes to groceries. These days that's a great score.
Yes, I think so, too...
Score! You can use that for so many things.
I haven't cooked a shoulder roast in years and then it was only as a pot roast. Now my first thought was pulled beef and then maybe cook one like a brisket. There are threads on here about both and they seem to turn out good...

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
As an additional heads up, Food Lion has butts for 99¢/lb. this week. More folks will be familiar with Food Lion.
Publix has top sirloin steaks for $5.99/lb. and they only sell choice.

Looks like some good eats coming your way, yep unless its labeled certified angus beef it doesnt have to be choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky