US Approves First Lab Meat, and Its Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★

Just like all the vegan, heavily processed crap, they can keep it.
I will eat it, much less serve it.
Don't even bring it to my house to put on my grill for yourself.

images.jpeg

You will eat the crickets, and you will like them!

Now there's some protein!

Last edited:
As a science geek, I can see much potential for this in the future. This kind of cultured protein uses far less input per pound of output which makes it more environmentally sound. With this technology you can feed more people with less space and energy. The downside would be if you had standardized profiles for the meat. Who wants a hamburger that tastes and feels the same as every other burger you ever ate?

I can understand some folks' aversion to this technology and I would not want to have to ban naturally produced meats from my menu.

I hear many folks say they would never eat this. Why not? People eat far worse than this routinely. Take chicken McNuggets for instance. Tasty for sure but they are made of slurry of chicken parts.

I am not to trying to accuse anyone of being a Luddite, I just want to know why you would not eat this? Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees but I would certainly give cultured meat a fair try.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
I agree! Before its done they'll want us eating a block of "protein and nutrients". Kinda like soylent green.

Jim
Now, that would be taking it a bit too far but I can see that happening. Soylent green is always so tough. Blah... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue::emoji_laughing:

Reactions: JLeonard
View attachment 668575
You will eat the crickets, and you will like them!

Hey, I will give them a try. Some red food coloring is made from bugs. At one time, artificial strawberry flavor used beaver anal glands for the flavor.

Lots of stuff in modern food you wouldn't eat if you knew what it was.

Now, that would be taking it a bit too far but I can see that happening. Soylent green is always so tough. Blah... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue::emoji_laughing:

You get enough of the right people in power and given time....Farming and raising of livestock will be outlawed and then we are all eating manufactured proteins and nutrients. Maybe I read too much dystopian fiction....But then I look at the world and think...."huh, read this in a book."

Jim

You get enough of the right people in power and given time....Farming and raising of livestock will be outlawed and then we are all eating manufactured proteins and nutrients. Maybe I read too much dystopian fiction....But then I look at the world and think...."huh, read this in a book."

Jim

Right you are. I am all for having choices, options, and the freedom to decide what is best for myself. I am not for forcing my set of beliefs upon others. Now, if I was omniscient, I guess I would feel differently. :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
JC in GB JC in GB I agree. Of course in the article it says that the chicken wont be for the poor. So I'm assuming its pricey to produce. I could see if it was cost efficient and practical to be used in under developed countries such as on the African continent to feed their masses.

Jim

Reactions: JC in GB

Jim
Just like many things that generate money, power and control of the population.

• Sad
Reactions: JC in GB
JC in GB JC in GB I agree. Of course in the article it says that the chicken wont be for the poor. So I'm assuming its pricey to produce. I could see if it was cost efficient and practical to be used in under developed countries such as on the African continent to feed their masses.

Jim

A very good point. I would suspect that as the technology matures and gets further vetted the input cost would start to go down. Most folks could not afford automobiles when they first were produced either. If it doesn't, then I will be forever in the naturally raised crowd.

I'd not want to eat Soylent Green either.
Not for the fact that, "It's people!"
The fact of it being so highly processed.
Believe me when I say that push comes to shove, fresh meat is fresh meat, whether it's Fido or his owner
I truly believe I'd have little problem eating human flesh rather than starve.

I'd not want to eat Soylent Green either.
Not for the fact that, "It's people!"
The fact of it being so highly processed.
Believe me when I say that push comes to shove, fresh meat is fresh meat, whether it's Fido or his owner
I truly believe I'd have little problem eating human flesh rather than starve.

I do not like soylent green spam
I do not like them Sam-I-am
I won't eat soylent in my coat
I won't eat soylent on my boat
I won't eat soylent on a hill
I won't eat soylent as a pill

My apologies to Dr. Suess...

:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

I’ll pass! Though sometimes it makes ya think with technology going overboard with AI and power hungry people wanting control… Just sayin!

Scary for sure. In 1974, U.S Secretary of State Henry Kissinger suggested using the control of food as a weapon to induce population reduction.

We are living in interesting times.

Scary for sure. In 1974, U.S Secretary of State Henry Kissinger suggested using the control of food as a weapon to induce population reduction.

We are living in interesting times.

That is for sure! Like Bill G@tes buying up farm land… I feel confident saying he does not have the best of intentions! He has made the human depopulation comment more than once!

Alright, say they can lab grow a steak. Gan they include fat marbling, or only duplicate the muscle itself? And if they can manage a marbled steak, are they going to limit fat content for our own good? The technology may have some real uses, but I am not even close to embracing it.

Alright, say they can lab grow a steak. Gan they include fat marbling, or only duplicate the muscle itself? And if they can manage a marbled steak, are they going to limit fat content for our own good? The technology may have some real uses, but I am not even close to embracing it.

Could not agree with you more DougE DougE !

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky