Unstuffed Peppers (Mrs Bear’s Method)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Unstuffed Peppers (Mrs Bear’s Method)

This was one of the first meals Mrs Bear made for me, when we first got married, nearly 50 years ago. I was in the Army at the time:

It's all the things most people put in when they make Stuffed Peppers, but we cut some peppers up, instead of stuffing them, and cook it all together.
We find it much easier & no difference in taste.

Ingredients:
Deerburger (or Ground Beef)
Diced Tomatoes
Chopped up Bell Peppers
Rice
Prego Italian Sauce (or similar)
Seasonings

Notes:
I add Hot Stuff to mine. She doesn't want her's hot.

Sorry---Nothing here is smoked, but I love it !!!

I put it on a dish if I'm in a hurry or Starving, or in a bowl if I plan on taking my time to eat it.

Bear

Ingredients plus Diced Tomatoes:
IMG_1968.jpg

Chopped Bell Peppers:
IMG_1969.jpg

Browning the Deerburger:
IMG_1970.jpg

Add all ingredients & Cook:
IMG_1971.jpg

Simmer until Peppers soften up:
IMG_1973.jpg

Plate it & Eat:
IMG_1974.jpg

John That looks like mine when I cut it up to eat.Mrs Bear did a nice job on that so Points for Mrs. Bear
Thanks for sharing Brother
Richie

John That looks like mine when I cut it up to eat.Mrs Bear did a nice job on that so Points for Mrs. Bear
Thanks for sharing Brother
Richie

Thank You Richie!!
However I said this was her "method". I made this batch, using her method.:)
It tasted almost as good as when she makes it.;)
And Thanks for the "Like".

Bear

What a simple and straight forward idea, John - yet makes perfectly logical sense. All the flavors will be there, yet a bit easier to eat. Kudos to Mrs. Bear.

this sounds pretty tasty, bear! i may have to convince the wife to try this out.

she used to make stuffed cabbage a lot, but then started making unstuffed cabbage. it is pretty similar in concept to your recipe, but it obviously uses cabbage instead of bell peppers. she also uses regular tomato sauce instead of the ragu.

Looks great bear! Making me hungry! Never had an unstuffed pepper before. Gonna try it out now!

Scott

Thank You Richie!!
However I said this was her "method". I made this batch, using her method.:)
It tasted almost as good as when she makes it.;)
And Thanks for the "Like".

Bear
You do know I figured that & she taught ya well LOL
Richie

I don't know why I never thought of that!
Much easier to eat than with them stuffed!
One of my favorite meals too!
Al

Pretty cool, We love stuffed peppers Have to give this one a try.
Looks Great !!

Gary

Looks great Bear. . . . . . 50 years of culinary bliss!

I do a similar thing with unstuffed cabbage. . . . Yum!

John

Thank You John!!
I gotta get your recipe for that Unstuffed Cabbage!! That'd be Great !
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear, looks like a great unstuffed pepper! I sometimes substitute the rice with a can of baked beans for something different. like

What a simple and straight forward idea, John - yet makes perfectly logical sense. All the flavors will be there, yet a bit easier to eat. Kudos to Mrs. Bear.

Thank You PZ !!
Exactly!! And I gotta get a good recipe for "Unstuffed Cabbage" too, because regular Rolled "Halupkis" seem like too much of a PITA to me.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

this sounds pretty tasty, bear! i may have to convince the wife to try this out.

she used to make stuffed cabbage a lot, but then started making unstuffed cabbage. it is pretty similar in concept to your recipe, but it obviously uses cabbage instead of bell peppers. she also uses regular tomato sauce instead of the ragu.

Thank You Chris!!

Bear

Looks great bear! Making me hungry! Never had an unstuffed pepper before. Gonna try it out now!

Scott

Thanks Scott !
We love it this way.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky