University study - apply to sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike1ranger

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Northern MN
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_632_makingjerkyathome.pdf

So, I came upon this when working on some jerky and it led to a conversation on the jerky thread about food safety beyond curing. Dave, if you're seeing this, your help and knowledge is appreciated. What I'm having a hard time understanding is whether or not the same concerns apply to smoked sausage? If we should shoot for 160 deg in jerky to kill the stuff cure didnt, would stopping at 152 in summer sausage expose us to the same pathogens? Thus, are we safer taking summer to 160 deg? Thoughts

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_632_makingjerkyathome.pdf

So, I came upon this when working on some jerky and it led to a conversation on the jerky thread about food safety beyond curing. Dave, if you're seeing this, your help and knowledge is appreciated. What I'm having a hard time understanding is whether or not the same concerns apply to smoked sausage? If we should shoot for 160 deg in jerky to kill the stuff cure didnt, would stopping at 152 in summer sausage expose us to the same pathogens? Thus, are we safer taking summer to 160 deg? Thoughts

Dont take your smoked SS to 160, you may not like what happens.

SS is wet inside... Jerky is "dry" inside... The water activity is low enough that the pathogens are not susceptible to heat treatment... They are being dehydrated... dehydrated pathogens can survive higher than normal temperatures...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky