Summer sausage and sticks from trim .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I saved the clean trim from the beef knuckle I posted the other day , and also cut up a side section . Same day I ground a brisket and a pork butt . Used 1 pound of the pork and added it to 3 lbs. of beef I had . So Sirloin , brisket and pork butt .
I used an AC Leggs summer sausage kit I had . Added caraway seed and mustard seed . 1 chub of SS and the rest were uncased sticks .
Did the SS in the MES 30 , and the sticks in the 360 air fryer .
Pork mixed in with the beef .
20220502_114509.jpg
I've been doing longer cure times . This is after 2 days curing .
36 degree fridge . I keep an alarmed therm in there .
20220505_111431.jpg
I hung the chub in the smoker at 100 degrees to dry .
20220505_112406.jpg
My LEM 5 lb. doesn't like the small tube after holding the cured meat over night .
So I used the medium tube and just cranked them onto my jerky tray .
20220505_114056.jpg
Set the oven to 170 . After an hour I needed the oven for supper .
So I transferred the sticks to the 360 set to dehydrate at 160 .
It really worked good for a small batch .
20220505_170309.jpg
Had a minor goof with the SS . My re-set of the smoke / cook time didn't take .
So it hung at 100 for the day . I was using hickory dust in the tube .
It sure smelled good .
I put it back in the fridge over night , and started over in the morning .
Took about 7 hours .
20220506_170816.jpg
Both came out really good . The caraway in the sticks reminded me of Kabanos .
Got a bit of case hardening . Either from the long hang the first day or keeping in the fridge post cook . No plastic bag . Not real bad though .
20220507_075511.jpg
20220507_080138.jpg
Just something to look at . This came from clean trim plus a bit extra .
That's the nice thing about buying 2 or 3 different subprimals . Meals and snacks .
Oh , that reminds me . I have another section that's curing for jerky .
Should be ready Thursday .

Thanks . I appreciate that . I've been using the trim from the subprimals for awhile now . Just a great use of the trim , and I add a bit to it if I don't have enough . The uncased sticks are really good . I was surprised that they both had a bit of tang to them .

Slim Jim has nothing compared to you Rich. Those sticks look great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great Chop.
Thanks . I'm hooked on those bags .
Any liquid smoke in the sticks or take it straight ?
Actually I did use some liquid smoke . 1 cap full for the 4 pounds . Normally I do sticks in sheep casings and hang them in the smoker . I also have mesquite powder . I could have sprinkled some of that on the outside .

Reactions: Winterrider
It all looks great but the color on those sticks is fantastic. Very nice job.
Thanks Robert . The summer sausage is the same , but the phone like to wash out pics .
I saved trim from the whole ribeye and the strip loin I did awhile back . Used some of the strip for meatloaf , but last week mixed the ribeye with strip to make burgers . Man it was good .
Appreciate the comment bud .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky