Unexpected rain and hail storm. Trying to salvage brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyd

Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hey y'all, 

During my second brisket smoke, a bad hail and rain storm blew in unexpectedly. I had my smoker covered with towels and some pans to try and deflect some of the rain, but I don't think it's going to pass over any time soon. How have you guys dealt with this?

My IT is at 165 right now. I smoked for 6 hours then wrapped it and smoked for about 2 more hours before the storm hit. Would this be ruined if I moved it to the oven at 225 degrees? I wasn't adding any more smoke at this point anyway.

Any advice is appreciated as I would hate for this to go bad.

Thanks,

JD

Yeah, throw it in the "O" @ 225-250*. If your smoke chamber temps drop it will force a stall on the meat...just moving it to the "O" will also force a stall, so don't sweat that. Get your oven preheated before you move it.

Eric

thanks eric. I ended up doing this. I have faith it is still going to turn out just fine! I'll keep you guys posted.
Yeah, throw it in the "O" @ 225-250*. If your smoke chamber temps drop it will force a stall on the meat...just moving it to the "O" will also force a stall, so don't sweat that. Get your oven preheated before you move it.

Eric

Last edited:
Good Move move, exactly what I would have done

Gary

thanks eric. I ended up doing this. I have faith it is still going to turn out just fine! I'll keep you guys posted.
Yeah, it'll be good. To slow down the cooking once foiled never hurt a brisket... a little longer to melt the connective tissues and it'll be even more tender.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky