Uncured corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grabber

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 3, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Hello everyone. Just bought some corned beef but it was titled uncured. Figure, I'd give it a try. Cooking now. Any idea or opinions on the difference in taste, etc. between cured and uncured corned beef. So far, only difference is color. It doesn't have the traditional red color. Thanks.

Hello everyone. Just bought some corned beef but it was titled uncured. Figure, I'd give it a try. Cooking now. Any idea or opinions on the difference in taste, etc. between cured and uncured corned beef. So far, only difference is color. It doesn't have the traditional red color. Thanks.
Is celery powder listed on the package?

There are many natural plants that contain sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite that can be used to cure meat. Celery powder being the most popular.

What is the salt percentage listed on the package?

Just took it out. Started boiling, it lacked the red color and looked grey. Now, it has red color and much looser texture than the normal ones Mrs buys. For those in the NE, they were purchased at Wegmans, always voted in top 3 supermarkets nation wide..

Label- Flavored with up to 20% water, sea salt, vinegar, baking soda, brown sugar, natural flavor. 4 oz raw , 29%.

It's Brined Beef. The Vinegar gives it a long pickled tang and the Baking Soda is a tenderizer. Depending on the spices used, it will be close enough...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Mrs. gets them from Sam's. They are much denser than these. She likes them but too dense for my liking.

This Salt Only is nothing new just not as common as Nitrite Cured Corned Beef...

Corned Beef as in the original centuries old, beef packed for shipping and preserving in Corn Kernal sized Rock Salt, gave Corned Beef it's name. CURE has only been used the last 100 years or so. No issues boiling with Cabbage and spice. Flavor will be close...JJ

Final result. Taste was best store bought ever had. Was good for reubens but in corned beef and cabbage, the texture would be too crumbly, unless sliced on the thicker side. Definitely would buy again.

Thanks. About 1 in. for beef and cabbage. Must have been good. 1 1/2 YO grandson ate about 1/3 to 1/2 lb.

I always found it interesting that the Irish in Ireland don't eat Corned Beef and Cabbage. Traditionally, in Ireland, the simmered meal is Bacon and Cabbage, Bacon being the term for a variety of pork cuts Cured and Smoked, so most likely Shoulder Bacon, Back Bacon or Ham, Cabbage and Potatoes.
The tradition of Corned Beef and Cabbage is Irish/American. Just before and continuing through the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840's, great numbers of Legally Invited Irish Immigrants made their way to The US. As most 18th and 19th century immigrants did they arrived in NYC. The established Grocery Vendors were predominantly Jewish. Pork not being readily available, the Irish were introduced to Cured Beef packed in Salt. A cheap cut of Beef packed in Corn Kernal sized Rock Salt, was Brisket. This now named CORNED BEEF, became a suitable replacement for Cured Pork in the Cabbage and Potato dish and the rest is American History...JJ

The Irish Buddies I have wouldn't have any idea what they ate St Patty's Day, if you ask them the next day anyway.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky