Umai Venison Salami & Pork Sopressata!! Final pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, first off not a lot of pics... The day I started this project ended up being crazy! Anyway, this is my first go round with Umai salumi. Decided on some venison salami & pork sopressata! Here they are stuffed in Umai 32 mm casings... After being hung in the basement for 72 hrs to ferment! The temps kinda fluctuated due to the crazy weather not making up its mind... and I was a bit concerned... Thanks @nepas and pc farmer pc farmer for the help and putting my concerns at ease! I appreciate you both!

image.jpeg

After the ferment, it was off to the beer/project fridge! These are in the 32 mm casings, tried some last weekend camping... Awesome flavor, but a bit too soft for most palates at 30% loss.

Tried some today, most of them are around 45% loss... It's great, but thinking that 50% would be a bit better.

Here's the pics today!

Venison Salami

image.jpeg

Pork Sopressata

image.jpeg

Both these are really tasty, just going to wait a bit to open the rest. Little more weight loss and I think it'll be better.

Thanks for lookin all!

Excellent way to learn... Get 'em perfect to your liking and you are golden.... I'd eat 'em anyway you made 'em.. need my address...

Looks good . I'm with you . I like it more on the dry side . Nice job .

I've never made any type of sausage, but boy do those look good.

Point for sure.

Chris

Excellent way to learn... Get 'em perfect to your liking and you are golden.... I'd eat 'em anyway you made 'em.. need my address...

Thanks Dave, yea it's almost done! I'll send ya some.

Jezz, how did I miss this. That looks great. No help from me was needed. You had it the whole way

That looks great! I just started my umai pepperoni project today. Hope it turns out as nice as yours!

Thanks, appreciate it & the like! Sorry for the late reply... I'm sure your pepperoni will turn out top notch, I'll try to keep an eye out for it!

Jezz, how did I miss this. That looks great. No help from me was needed. You had it the whole way

Thanks buddy, it's hard to keep up with threads anymore! There are a lot of talented folks on the site that put up some amazing threads... I'm just a redneck that tries to put together a decent thread when I post! Your help was much appreciated, at points in the fermenting time I needed the reassurance that this stuff was ok! Rick & yourself helped a lot in that... Again, appreciate it bud!

Hey all, here's the final pics of the venison salami & pork sopressata! As stated above, the taste was great.. but we did not care for the texture at 30% or even 45%. These were taken to bout 55% loss! Much better texture wise for us. It is quite firm, the flavor has seemed to intensify & has a nice chew to it! Anyway, here's the final pics! Thanks for lookin!

Venison Salami

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pork Sopressata

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

WHB, morning.... Looks really good.... I'm thinking you maybe added moisture to the meat when mixing... The % weight loss should be calculated on the initial weight and final weight of the meat, without the added moisture weight, when mixing...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky