UMAi PEPPERONI, without bactoferm!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I wanted to try a batch of pepperoni in the UMAi casings without using the bactoferm.
We wanted to see how it would taste without fermenting it first. So I used the same recipe as I used in my first pepperoni try, except I used 1 1/2 the amount of TSM seasoning & no bactoferm. Also there was no hanging it at room temp for 2 days, it went right into the fridge. And another thing I did was double grind the meat, first grind with the big plate, then mix in the spices & grind again thru the med plate. It has a much better texture than the first try. It also has a really great flavor. I think the next batch I will add some paprika to the recipe to see if it will give it an orangish color. It did take about 45 days to loose 35% weight, and that is in the 50 mm casings.
Here is the original thread with the old recipe:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/umai-pepperoni-my-first-try.278253/
And here is the photo of the new recipe!
IMG_0014.jpg

This is still a work in progress!!
But I'm getting real close to the flavor I'm looking for!
Thanks for looking guys!
Al

Didn't like the fermention taste?

That's right Adam, we thought it was too strong.
Al

Looks great AL, another success

Thanks Doug!

Al, Looks good, i would think that the cure #2 would have given it a bit more color. LIKE

The photo doesn't show it very well, but it is quite reddish, not as much as the fermented one though. That is why the next batch will have some paprika in it to give it more of a traditional pepperoni color.
Al

Last edited:
Looks great, Al. I had been wondering how yours with no bacto came out. My two batches (one w too much bacto and the other w 1/2 tsp) are STILL less than 35% weight loss, but they are getting close. The wifey thinks they still smell like stinky feet, but I digress.

Like!

Looks good from my screen Al, have you tried it on a pizza yet?

Point for sure.
Chris

Looks great, Al. I had been wondering how yours with no bacto came out. My two batches (one w too much bacto and the other w 1/2 tsp) are STILL less than 35% weight loss, but they are getting close. The wifey thinks they still smell like stinky feet, but I digress.

Like!

Thank you!
The ones without bacto have a better flavor, IMHO.
And Judy like's them better, but the ones with bacto really taste good on a pizza, but not so good on a cracker.
But you may like that tang.
The other thing I did was a double grind, cause I thought the first batch was a little too chewy.
Al

Looks good from my screen Al, have you tried it on a pizza yet?

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris!
Pizza is on the menu for this weekend, we are supposed to get some cooler weather on Sunday, high in the low 80's, so that should be perfect weather for cooking a pizza & hanging out in the back yard with the neighbors!
Al

Looks good Al.

Bring to the bbq?

I have some ring and ss bringing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky