UMAi Pancetta Phase 2 (W/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The belly had been curing for 10 days and was getting really dark from the spices. Decided to start Phase 2 a couple days earlier than anticipated, which was yesterday. When I cut open the vac seal bag, the aroma was amazing. I couldn't believe how wonderful it smelled. That's a promising sign I guess.

Out of the bag, rinsed, dried, lightly brushed with wine, and a nice coating of black pepper
06.jpg

Rolled and tied off....as best I could. Never done this before
07.jpg

Into the UMAi bag. this thing barely fit. I had to jam it in as tight as I possibly could to get enough bag at the top to seal it.
08.jpg

This is a pic I took a little while ago just for grins. As you can see, even after only 24 hours there is a noticeable color difference. I'm starting to think this may work....but of course it's worked for thousands of people so hopefully it'll work for me.
09.jpg

Start weight was 3729 grams and target weight is 2424 grams. Of course, I have no idea how long this will take but I'm in it for the long haul. Dave, you may want to get the Xtra Large popcorn with double butter for this one :emoji_blush:

Eagerly awaiting Phase 3,
Robert

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
No, not quite yet. Its at 30% weight loss or maybe a bit more so theoretically I could slice it but really want to hit the 35% mark. Hopefully it won't be much longer. I'll post the final outcome when it's all done. Im guessing in the next 3 to 4 weeks

Updating ,
Robert

"Do you have a recipe for the seasonings you used for phase 1"

I have nothing written down. I followed the UMAi recipe through the curing process for seasonings. After it was cured I rubbed it with wine and added a considerable amount of black pepper.

Here is a pic of the recipe card that UMAi sent
001.jpg

You can also find the recipe by going to Google and typing in "recipe umai pancetta" or at their website umaidry.com

Hope this helps....and hope you have patience :-) This can take a while
Robert

I'll check it again when I get home. It's been a couple weeks so there is a slight possibility that it may be ready

Robert

Looking good.

Tip: Take the UMAi label off your bag, It will not let the UMAi bag properly work in that area.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky