UMAi Bresaola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Took the Bresaola from the UMAi this morning, cut the twine off.
IMG_2134.jpg

Right now i'm at a 32.57% weight loss. I normally dont re UMAi but this time i am.

Little rub down with some Brandy before the new UMAi bag.
IMG_2136.jpg

Going to look for a loss between 40-45%
IMG_2137.jpg

Planning on doing a venison bresaola soon. I have the umia kit. My question is this: should you put the bresaola, once in the umia bag, in a drawer in the frig to keep humidity high so as to lessen the hardness of the outer layer?

Getting closer. Another 3-4 days then vac seal to EQ for while
Heading to Texas on the 16 so when i get back it may be ready to slice.

IMG_0012.jpg

UMAi Bresaola is at weight loss. Time to go into a vac bag for some EQ.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Been a long time wait. Started 1-19

Well worth it.

IMG_0130.jpg

Started with really thin slices.
IMG_0134.jpg

Went with a slightly thicker slice.
IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

My Slicer.
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

I'm happy. Now vac seal some slices.

What is the benefit of the 2 stage cure/spice mix? My second question is, if you are adding cure in 2 stages, is your initial batch of cure/spice mix weighed to have your cure reach the final ppm of nitrate/nitrite, because if so, it would seem that for the first 5 days you are at a lower ppm than you would be shooting for, and then adding the rest after 5 days to reach the desired ppm. I would assume with your amount of knowledge that this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm just curious as to whether one should/could add full strength of cure in the initial spice mix rub and then just add spice rub to the second addition. I'm not questioning your wisdom, because the product looks excellent. I am just wondering about the process and why you chose to do it that way.

What is the benefit of the 2 stage cure/spice mix? My second question is, if you are adding cure in 2 stages, is your initial batch of cure/spice mix weighed to have your cure reach the final ppm of nitrate/nitrite, because if so, it would seem that for the first 5 days you are at a lower ppm than you would be shooting for, and then adding the rest after 5 days to reach the desired ppm. I would assume with your amount of knowledge that this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm just curious as to whether one should/could add full strength of cure in the initial spice mix rub and then just add spice rub to the second addition. I'm not questioning your wisdom, because the product looks excellent. I am just wondering about the process and why you chose to do it that way.

Its just my way at times.

I do my mix all at 1 time, split that up, apply the 1st then 7 days later apply the rest of the dry. so in other words no its not getting over or under cured. I dont go by PPM like others do, just not my thing as i know from years of experience that my products are safe.

Reactions: cpanderson
Its just my way at times.

I do my mix all at 1 time, split that up, apply the 1st then 7 days later apply the rest of the dry. so in other words no its not getting over or under cured. I dont go by PPM like others do, just not my thing as i know from years of experience that my products are safe.
I'm cool with that. You can't trade experience for anything else! I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just trying to dig a little deeper. As a newbie, I will stick to recipes but keep watching and learning from the Maesters

I'm cool with that. You can't trade experience for anything else! I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just trying to dig a little deeper. As a newbie, I will stick to recipes but keep watching and learning from the Maesters
No worries its all good, we all learn still, heck even an old phart like me...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky