UDS low temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RGHeard

Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hi all. Was hoping that someone might be able to help me. I have a UDS I built, using slide type intake, 2 inch exhaust, approximately 12 inch diameter by same height basket, approximately 4 inch tall legs. My problem is that I can run 375 plus all day. But I have to keep an insanely small gap on my intake, less than a quarter inch with 2/3 of the vent taped off. There is no other air leaks, I can shut it down and kill it with no problem. If I try to get below 250ish, it just doesn't want to run at all. How do all of you get the lower temps?

There's air leaks. Even though you are able to shut it down, it's leaking around either your slide or your lid.

Not sure how to fix it without seeing your rig. It's amazing how tiny leaks will cause them to run away.

You should be able to run your exhaust wide open.

Yes, I should've inquired as to how many coals you're using to start your fire. If I'm shooting for 250 temp, I only use 6-8 hot coals. I'll use maybe 10-12 if I'm looking for 350-375

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky