UDS Build in Seattle, WA - Plan to bury as dual fire pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fledie2004

Original poster
May 28, 2020
Hello All Smokers and UDS Enthusiasts!

This is my first time posting on a community, so sorry if I am breaking norms.

I am looking to build a UDS to bury in my front lawn to act as a smoker/ grill/ fire pit. I live in the Columbia City district in South Seattle, WA. See attached pics for a visual of the project.

I am very excited for this project, but have some questions:

1. Is there anyone local in the Seattle area that would be interested in building UDS to spec?

2. Is there a recommended place in the Seattle area to get a drum? Anything specific I should know about buying a drum?

3. Would there be any reason I should be concerned about burying a UDS?

Specific plan:

- The drum would be buried ~2ft
- Air intakes are slightly above ground
- Top of the barrel is ~9in above ground. See pics to get an idea of the project.

20200528_121406.jpg
20200528_121323.jpg
20200528_121329.jpg

Thank your for providing thoughts and inputs. I am super excited for this product.

Scott

Reactions: kruizer
I am also curious as to the reason to bury it.

typically the air intakes for those are on the bottom and the exhaust is on the top to create natural draft.

What you are looking to create in essence is a reverse flow UDS. this would require tuning plates of some sort I would imagine. I would think it to be a logistical and engineering nightmare, but perhaps somebody smarter than myself could weigh in on that.

Definitely intriguing though

I'm with the rest of the folks. I see no reason to bury it. It's gonna lock you in for location and you can't move it around. Looks like it's gonna be a good ways from anything so getting fuel, food, and cooking utensils back and forth may be a bit cumbersome, and these are just a few things that you may want to take into account.

I'm a long way from Seattle so cannot chime in on the first two questions but see a potential setback to the third. Unless it's stainless steel there is a high likelihood that it's gonna rust out pretty quick then you're back to ground (no pun intended) zero and starting over.

Robert

Reactions: daveomak
Thanks for the feedback:

- I am burying it so that is could be multi purposed which would include being used as a fire pit. With a view from South Seattle across Lake Washington to Mt Baker, it would make a great gathering spot. What the pic doesn't well represent (since we are still landscaping the space) is it will be a Northwest style beach fire pit area.

- Regarding airflow. My understanding is that since hot air rises, it creates a natural vacuum for the intake. The mod with the intake pipes along the side work by pulling in air through the pipes, which then released through the vent/ chimney. The air intake is then controlled by both the vent and the intake opening (see diagram). The requirement is that intake must below the vent/ chimney.

- Rust is my primary concern. I was planning on stainless steel. Al's Seattle Barrel's has a relatively inexpensive option for a stainless steel. Then I will tarp the area. I figure that will work for a few years and I prove concept/ engineering and then make a clay version so I can tandoori as well!!

- Funny regarding the inverted solution. I was actually thinking about doing that, with heat actually at the top. It would be a similar concept as the La Caja China. But that's much less vertical. I am still interested in testing that solution, because it would provide much better access to the heat source. Better control of heat = better smoked meat.

Anyways. Anyone interested in building this?

Thanks.

Scott

Airflow diagram.

Attachments

• Resized_099143020891_09597958_54663595401855.jpeg
    Resized_099143020891_09597958_54663595401855.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 50
I guess I would add in by saying, if you have not experienced trying to remove ashes from a UDS, having the ability to tip the barrel upside down and give it a couple whacks on the bottom with a hammer is generally the most effective way.

If you had some sort of ash pan below your charcoal grates that had long vertical handles on the side to possibly remove it all at once, maybe that would work.

Think of it like a big pizza pan with threaded rod handles that extended most of the way up the barrel.

EDIT: now that I say that, I think I might have my Saturday project for when I get off work today. that sounds like a pretty good idea for my own barrel lol

So the terracotta or whatever pipe allows you to use more of a snake method on your coals?

I just run the minion myself and it works just fine.

My fire basket looks just like yours except it does not have the attached pizza pan.

I suppose the pizza pan would be a good idea as it would force me to clean out the ashes every time I used it rather than just every time it's so full I can't scoop them aside out of laziness :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

I think that I would chime in and agree with the others that I'm not sure why you want to bury it. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I'm with tx smoker tx smoker that unless it will be close to where your kitchen area is, carrying things to and from that spot will get old fast.

I understand what you're saying, but why not just a fire-pit in addition to the UDS?

Well. Obviously this forum is filled with a bunch of trolls and clowns. Thank you for verifying one thing. That not participating in a forum for my entire life up until 2 days ago was a complete time saver and source of well being for the vast majority of my life.

Thank you for the few that actually responded with constructive feedback and ideas.

Stay healthy! Stay Safe! Peace to all!!

Scott

• Haha
Reactions: JC in GB
Trolls and Clowns?

Peace to you as well!

My thoughts exactly. A question is asked and a lot of input is given. Although the question was answered many times apparently it wasn't the answer he wanted so we are all trolls and clowns. As John said..."peace to you as well".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky