Udairi Ribs w/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stacks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Clinton, MO
Hello again all my SMF friends,

We've been extremely busy here in the desert for the past several months and I just haven't had the chance to do any BBQ.  (or our version of it).  We planned to do a few slabs of Baby Back ribs but it ended up a full blown cook for all the guys.  We prepared 24 slabs of ribs on two grills doing the best we could to slow cook them.  This was also a great opportunity to try out the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER sent to us by our friend and fellow SMF contributer TJohnson.  If you haven't had the chance to see this thing in action, I recommend taking a look at it.  Easy to use, and it puts out some decent TBS.  

I prepped the ribs yesterday afternoon using some rub my wife shipped over.  This morning I fired up two grills.  The larger one I placed the coals in the center of the grill and ribs on each side.  Having only hickory chips I placed the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER on the coal rack with some applewood dust to blend with the hickory. On the kettle I just placed the coal as far from the meat as I could and added hickory.  Luckily the outside temp was around 115, so I didn't have to have a blazing fire.  During the smoke I added apple juice confiscated from the DFAC (chow hall).  It took only about 2 hrs 45 min before the ribs looked like they were ready to foil.  I cooked them foiled for about 45 minutes and pulled them off the grill.  All in all they turned out pretty good.  The meat had a nice smoke ring to it and held onto the bone just enough to keep the slab together.  When you gave the bone a tug it came out clean.  I couldn't ask for more for my first Baby Back attempt, especially here.  Someone else got the picture of the final mound of ribs.  Going into Arifjan tomorrow to look for some shoulders to cook this weekend.  After all, it is Labor Day.

Stacks 

2eeb9543_IMGP0818.jpg

A-MAZE-N-SMOKER on the left.  Once it got going it produced a nice steady smoke

1e861983_IMGP0823.jpg

Trying to figure out where to put them all.  Going to have to move them around to make the bark even.

441f2baf_IMGP0841.jpg

They're getting there.  Almost ready to foil 

The little kettle grill was harder to work.  I couldn't keep the temps down.  Good ribs though.       

6e40bd64_IMGP0840.jpg

Great looking ribs you did there.   Everyone must have been very happy...  I got me one of those AmazeNSmokers too.  I am hoping I will have time to try it out this weekend.

Awesome looking cook you had there!! Sounds like the ribs turned out excellent.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

and a Huge THANK YOU to you and to the rest of our soldiers, for my freedom!!!

ea2dd8f2_american_flag.gif

That looks like good stuff.  Hope your guys enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed the pictures.  I noticed the gloves.  When my son packed out of Iraq a few years ago, his unit spent two weeks in Kuwait preparing their equipment for shipping.  He said that they could not handle anything metal without gloves.  I imagine they might have looked like that.

Luckily the outside temp was around 115, so I didn't have to have a blazing fire.  

icon_cool.gif

Awesome looking cook you had there!! Sounds like the ribs turned out excellent.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

and a Huge THANK YOUto you and to the rest of our soldiers, for my freedom!!!

From the dad of a SOLDIER too. Thanks for all you guys do

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky