Typical UDS cook rack heights? Water pan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Weather is bad. I got bored. I have a few drums and metal tanks cut apart. Just about ready to start welding. Trying to figure out what people do for rack heights. Drum is going to be lined. I cut the tops and bottoms off two 55 gal drums. One drum I have cut down the welded seam so I can curl it over itself to make it a smaller, inner liner. I cut all the bottoms off so I can weld everything to the bottom round disc/plate and build it up from there.

I'm thinking 1.5-2" of mineral wool liner between the two layers. So ID (inside diameter) of drum is about 22.5" wide, insulated drum will be somewhere around 18.5-19.5 wide. Not sure I need to insulate all the way up though. And also not sure if I want to make rack pins or have 1-2 racks with adjustable heights --or just fixed rack positions and call it a day...

What do people do with UDS? Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky