types of pork for pulling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ocsnapper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Eastern Shore Maryland
OK I know that this has been tossed around before but my question is do most use Boston butts for pulling or would you go with just a cheap cut of pork, just the other day Sam's club had pork loins for a $1.38 lb butts were $1.28 would loin make better pulled pork or Butts.....
Thanks...

The loins are too lean and will be dry. Loins are best used for slicing or canadian bacon.

Butts rule for pulling.

What ron said. I'd go with a bone in butt for pulled pork. To make it pull nicely, you really need to take the cooked internal temp up to around 200-205. If you cook a loin that long it'll be way overcooked.

But loins are good. And lots of references on this site.

As Ron man said, loins are great for slicing or curing, I do my loins to about 145 and they are ever so tender.
Boston butts are really expensive around here (if I can even find them) so 99% of the time I go with a picnic that I can get for $.79lb and it also makes for some excellent pp.

Boston butt or pork cushion meat will work also if you can find it.

About ten years ago i did a 16 pound full shoulder.Has both meats paul posted.If you ever do this you will see the differece in meat....

I like a bone in butt for pulling it just works really good so why change a good thing. I like fresh hams for slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky