Type of Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swoodze

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Wahington State
Question for everyone, I have never heard anyone talk about using plum, pear, or peach wood for smoking. Will it taste good, or will it give it a funky flavor??   I only ask because I have access to a lot of this kind of wood.

Thank you all in advance for you replies.

Question for everyone, I have never heard anyone talk about using plum, pear, or peach wood for smoking. Will it taste good, or will it give it a funky flavor??   I only ask because I have access to a lot of this kind of wood.

If you like Apple, you should like Peach & Pear. I never tried Plum, but I would guess it's relatively similar.

Bear

Bear,

Thanks a Ton for your input on this. Now I can get the wood ready for my smoker instead of just burning it in the bonfire.

I use Peach a lot,  I like it

Gary

You'll  like it, really mild and light

Gary

Arrgg, I live in the midwest. Illinois to be exact. I haven't done much sourcing for wood....Oak is easy to get. I mostly buy chunks and pellets  from various stores. I'd love to get a ton of peach wood, if only you didn't live so far away I'd ask you to send me some logs (I'd pay for shipping of course) but its just not in the budget right now.

I watch BBQ Pitmasters, Myron Mixon uses peach wood. I hate the guy (his arrogance....) but I'd love to taste some of his Q.

Maybe this will help

Enjoy,  John

Wood for Smoking

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BEECH - The wood of the Beechnut produces a mild, somewhat delicate smoked flavor. Since it is a hardwood, it remains longer for smoking before it turns to ash. Similar to, but not as sweet as hickory, more like pecan.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs; WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

OLIVE- A medium strength smoke, similar to pecan

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Last edited:
I use mostly pecan, but have used much hickory, also apple, peach, and cherry. We recently had a redbud tree go down and I'm considering smoking with that. I hear it gives a almondy, buttery tasting smoke. Has anyone tried redbud. Didn't see it on the list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky