Two brined turkeys on the Smokin-It#3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Into the brine 11/23 at 7:00 PM, out on 11/24 at 4:00...

More to come...plan to have it into the smoker with apple and hickory at 5:00 AM.

With Birds that big I'd have brined for closer to 24 hrs, especially if they were frozen.  Best to use 12 to 14 pound birds and fresh vs. frozen if you can get em.  Allow 30-40 minutes per pound smoking at 225-250, at least that's what my smoker needs to get the bird to 160 before pulling and tenting at rest for another 30 minutes.  At that point the bird is up to 165, and safe to carve and serve.  

My first smoked turkey was four years ago, and the family won't accept any other method now.. lol.  You are gonna love em.

-=Phyber

I think you will have plenty of turkey! We are only having six people and going the fried chicken route this year.

With Birds that big I'd have brined for closer to 24 hrs, especially if they were frozen.  Best to use 12 to 14 pound birds and fresh vs. frozen if you can get em.  Allow 30-40 minutes per pound smoking at 225-250, at least that's what my smoker needs to get the bird to 160 before pulling and tenting at rest for another 30 minutes.  At that point the bird is up to 165, and safe to carve and serve.  

My first smoked turkey was four years ago, and the family won't accept any other method now.. lol.  You are gonna love em.

-=Phyber

I've done a few before, here's a pair I did similar size:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152466/two-cured-and-brined-turkeys-on-the-smokin-it-3/0_100

These took 6 hours, and turned out well!

I would have brined longer, but not enough time. These were frozen and thawed prior to brining however.

I planned for 8 hours prior to meal time for these so should be good!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky