Turkey ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kask

Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Okay, every one probably has a recipe for this but I need a fool proof recipe for smoking a turkey in an electric smoker for easter.Lots of people coming wife cooking traditional in oven but I want to smoke one, any help would be appreciated

Well

Electric smokers are a lot like ovens.  Big difference is that you will probably use a bit lower temperature and some wood chips.

There are some great brine recipes on this forum that may be helpful.  I know a lot of people like to cook turkey in the 290 - 325 range.  The skin crisps better and your cooking times are closer to what you wife will be doing in the oven.  I normally smoke poultry in the 250 range.  It takes longer but I get more smoke and I'm not worried about the skin.   

I'm sure someone that is more familiar with electric will offer more specific advice

Good Luck and welcome to the forum 

Welcome and good morning, glad to have you here at SMF, I am sure someone will be along that can steer you in the right direction on your electric smoker, sorry, I use a RF.

Gary S

I think we might want to take a look at the big picture here. You say your wife is cooking a traditional turkey in the oven. And that there are lots of people coming over. If your wife is anything like mine, she won't relish the idea of her husband trying to "one up" her with another turkey. I know, I know, you want to show off your mastery of your new found smoking skills, but at what cost? Best case scenario, you rock your turkey and your wife keeps the resentment to herself while the guests rave on and on about the delicious smoked bird. All the while, your wife's turkey sits largely unnoticed. Worst case scenario, she comes after you with a cleaver, and you and your smoked turkey are bunking with the dog through the 4th of July.

What I'd do, for what it's worth, is leave the turkey to the wife. Let her have the glory of the big show. You could make some ABT's, Moink balls and some smoked stuffed mushroom caps on the smoker for appetizers. That way, you get your glory and everyone will rave about your smoking skills, and come dinner time, your wife takes the stage with her beautiful turkey in the middle of the table and everyone can rave about that.

Its all about how you go...... You can smoke, brine, inject. If your first bird let me recommend a simple smoke. BDSkelly does some nice fruit enhanced birds, you'll find it in the search engine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147498/smoked-turkey-a-bds-tribute

The above involves injection which you really don't need. Its simply a flavor enhancement. Its also an attempt at using the higher heat. Long ago, I just learned to accept smoked turkey as not having a crisp skin. LOL... Mom's hardly ever had a crisp skin either unless its was dry....Ewwww.

Here also a nekkid chicken recipe I really like, its simple and easy and its always a crowd pleaser. A turkey would be exactly the same.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/156212/nekkid-chicken-foamheart

Brining is really not too tuff to do either and brings some really wonderful flavor enhancers to the bird.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152772/basic-brined-smoked-chicken

Whatever you do, what ever you try, I suggest you take one and stay with it. Don't try to mix and match, or take too many suggestions, what happens is you suddenly have a turkey that tastes more like dressing than turkey.

There are loads of good recipes with Q-View on here, like a said, BDSkelly does an awesome bird with great Q-View.

When you decide upon  what to do, tell the guy you are trying to emulate and certyainly they will love helping.

Good luck and remember to enjoy the smoke.

Hello Folks.  WELL SAID MD!  VERY WISE MAN!  The wrath is not worth the effort to smoke it!  Leave it kask and "shine" another day!  A tactical retreat isn't a defeat OR a bad thing.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

I think we might want to take a look at the big picture here. You say your wife is cooking a traditional turkey in the oven. And that there are lots of people coming over. If your wife is anything like mine, she won't relish the idea of her husband trying to "one up" her with another turkey. I know, I know, you want to show off your mastery of your new found smoking skills, but at what cost? Best case scenario, you rock your turkey and your wife keeps the resentment to herself while the guests rave on and on about the delicious smoked bird. All the while, your wife's turkey sits largely unnoticed. Worst case scenario, she comes after you with a cleaver, and you and your smoked turkey are bunking with the dog through the 4th of July.

What I'd do, for what it's worth, is leave the turkey to the wife. Let her have the glory of the big show. You could make some ABT's, Moink balls and some smoked stuffed mushroom caps on the smoker for appetizers. That way, you get your glory and everyone will rave about your smoking skills, and come dinner time, your wife takes the stage with her beautiful turkey in the middle of the table and everyone can rave about that.
This is about as true a post there gets.I am lucky now my wife cant cook and does not want to She will clean up any mess I want to make so we are both happy.

The reason this is so true I had a EX that would of let me and every one else know she was not happy.I would of been in the doghouse until the next year. Then every time she seen any thing turkey during the next 5 years I would get a reminder how I screwed up her Turkey Dinner.

Keep the Peace

Dan 

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Well I think the more food and cooking and fun, the better!

Whether your wife cooks a traditional oven roasted bird, you smoke one, and you both make other things too, or however it goes - the more the fun! I cannot imagine anyone getting mad that their mate cooked or made an extra entree, and I'm sure your bride will be grateful for your contribution to the process/party!

It all sounds wonderful!

And if there ever IS any adamant disagreement about some odd bizarre thing; which one yet really really wants, then "spouse bribery" works tremendously!!! (Or in our house anyway, while others may be aghast to hear such a thing, but I love it)!

In other words, "Sure, watch your sports, and I'll take a beautiful spa treatment during that time as your "sweet treat" to get me out of the house, and you can even then crank the volume up and everything!" Voila! Both happy!!!!!

OK OK, and here you simply asked for a turkey recipe. It sounds like the experts are helping and so enough of my editorial commentary. Smiles. (But I DO love spouse bribery). I do!

Regardless, your Easter will be delicious no matter what is served!

Cheers to that!! And to all!!! Happy WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Wait you don't just TELL your wife what she is going to do? I bet you let her wear shoes, you have spoiled her.... its your own fault!

Wait you don't just TELL your wife what she is going to do? I bet you let her wear shoes, you have spoiled her.... its your own fault!
HAHA!! You're exactly right. And here I am walking and talking and everything. I learned long ago that an infuriated Scots woman, no matter how cute and diminutive, is not something I care to experience. Especially one whom I foolishly taught to shoot. She posts respectable skeet scores with a .410.

I've scuffled with huge biker types easily twice my size and felt less fear than when she "gets her Scottish up".

In all seriousness, my original response was in no way meant to bash women or anything of the sort. It was just about preserving peace and not trying to steal the limelight from someone with whom you've chosen to spend your life. Holiday dinners in my family are a big deal, and the person doing the cooking is the star of the show. From the tone of the OP, I gathered that his wife had planned in advance to make the main course and that he had decided after the fact to cook one as well.

And for the record, I can wear shoes whenever I damn well please. Sometimes I don't even have to ask permission.
wife.gif

In all seriousness, my original response was in no way meant to bash women or anything of the sort. It was just about preserving peace and not trying to steal the limelight from someone with whom you've chosen to spend your life. Holiday dinners in my family are a big deal, and the person doing the cooking is the star of the show. From the tone of the OP, I gathered that his wife had planned in advance to make the main course and that he had decided after the fact to cook one as well.

And for the record, I can wear shoes whenever I damn well please. Sometimes I don't even have to ask permission.
wife.gif
The only one I ever saw get away doing something like that was Brian and he can run away since he is a road warrior!

Good point, think I'll take your advice somehow, but i'll be dammed if I don't smoke something on a long weekend.

Me and JD sitten on the deck thinkin maybe breakfast ? They do them in pizza ovens ,(smoked eggs and sausage anyone)

Last edited:
A breakfast fatty is a beautiful thing!! If you do the bacon weave offset at a 45˚ angle to the sausage (a'la Cowgirl) it looks REALLY impressive.

**EDIT** if you have no idea what I'm talking about, just search FATTY on here and you'll get literally thousands of posts showing the assembly process. They're easy but really make an impression.

Here are a couple I've done. Never did the offset weave, but you get the basic idea.

Last edited:
Wow Andrew! Impressive fatties and such!!! Always so fun to see! (Before joining this site, I'd not heard of MOINK balls, fatties, bacon weaves, or even the term "sammie"). Each day here is a definite treat!

Cheers!!! - Leah

The first I ever heard of a "fattie" was when my brother sent me a video of the "bacon explosion" back in 2007 or so. He made me promise never to make one. Oops! :)

Wait, I take that back, there was something called a "fattie" back in my prep school days, but local ordinances, federal laws and propriety prohibit me from divulging further details. Come to think of it, there was something called a "Sammie" too...

I do a ham in the smoker. Adds extra flavor and you can glaze it how you like. I stay all day in the backyard and have beers with the family members that want to join me, far away from the chaos in the kitchen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky