Turkey wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
Got 8 pounds of them at $.39/lb.Never done them before.There's 4.

My game plan is pretty simple.An overnight brine in enough water to cover them,1cup 100% Cran/Blackberry juice and 1/4cup salt.Spog and into the MES at 250 or higher and finished in the Ninja to get that crispy skin.This is what I do with chicken wings and they come out spectacular.Unlike chicken the turkey wings are larger and more of a darker meat with a much thicker skin.

What's a ballpark figure for an IT before I finish them in the airfryer?They're only going in the Ninja long enough to get the skin crisp.

Last edited:
So I did them as planned and was kinda disappointed.They were a little on the tough side.

Maybe lower and slower next time.Either way after a few bites the remaining three are in the crock pot today.

The stuffing is boxed with some chopped onion and apple pieces.The veggies are zucchini,red/yellow peppers,onion and shrooms and of course cranberry sauce.The stuffing was done in the smoker and the veg on the grill.

Did manage a few pics from yesterday:

Attachments

• 20220605_142710_HDR.jpg
    20220605_142710_HDR.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220605_165643.jpg
    20220605_165643.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220605_174328.jpg
    20220605_174328.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220605_174520.jpg
    20220605_174520.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220605_174528.jpg
    20220605_174528.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220605_174936.jpg
    20220605_174936.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
The crock pot will fix 'em . If you pulled them at 165 , that's to low in my opinion . They look good , just needed a higher temp maybe .
How did you like that race ? I forgot it was here until I turned it on .

Reactions: jcam222 and TNJAKE
The crock pot will fix 'em . If you pulled them at 165 , that's to low in my opinion .
Pulled at 175 and into the Ninja for a few minutes.

The crock pot and the soup pot have saved many a screw-ups!

Reactions: chopsaw
And if I see them at that price again I'll certainly give it another go around for sure.

So I did them as planned and was kinda disappointed.They were a little on the tough side.

Maybe lower and slower next time.Either way after a few bites the remaining three are in the crock pot today.

The stuffing is boxed with some chopped onion and apple pieces.The veggies are zucchini,red/yellow peppers,onion and shrooms and of course cranberry sauce.The stuffing was done in the smoker and the veg on the grill.

Did manage a few pics from yesterday:
I'm just now seeing this post, good work making the wings work for you!

When I've bought smoked wings at the store they are always tough. My thought is you have to cook them hard as the skin is quite thick and tough.
I imagine you may have to smoke at 325F and treat them like you would if you wanted fall off the bone ribs. That skin is full of fat so I imagine they wont dry out if you cook em hard to make them fall off the bone. I don't know any of this for sure, it's just a guess.

The only time I eat turkey wings are when they are attached to my whole smoked turkeys and the wings are nowhere as big as those monsters lol.

Now something I HAVE done with turkey wings. I have bought the cured and smoked ones at the store and I throw them into beans and soups. They are tough as hell out of the package even though they are fully cooked.
They make great bean and soup smoke+cured meat components. You may want to cure them and smoke them and then toss them into soups and beans to get the best bang for the buck.
Heck they kinda went that direction now and I'm sure the food turned out great with them that way :)

Anyhow, I hope my little bit of guesstimations and insight helps give you some ideas for the future. Cant beat that price!

Love Turkey wings, but never see them here in the stores, unless there is a large bird attached to them, lol
And at .39 cents a pound. I would put a few pounds in the freezer for sure.

Same as chicken wings , every store wants to chop them up and call them splits. I like them whole so I can lock them and cook them. And they look better also.

Yours look great and nice colour. Sorry you found them tough

David

Maybe try taking them to 180-185 next time? I’ve done chicken wings that were great at that temp. I did Turkey wings in the air fryer this winter snd hit at least 180f. They were incredible. Sometimes it cools just be the meat too?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky