Turkey: To Spatchcock or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Well just found out tonight I will be making the turkey.(in-laws were quarantined for covid). I have not tried smoked turkey in 15 years or so. I did do a de-boned chicken that turned out great last summer. I am not sure I want to take the time to debone a whole turkey tho. So smoke it whole with some apple chunks in it or split it and smoke it flat? Anyone have any opinions on this? I will be buttering under the skin and injecting it with a butter/broth/seasoning mix. And Basting with butter/broth mix and finishing with a flame thrower to crisp the skin.(seemed to work good on the chicken last summer. lol)

Spatchcocking greatly reduces time and more even cooking. I did that last year for Christmas. Just have whole turkey breast and I think I'm gonna take the spine out of this also

I have one spatchcocked and dry brining in the fridge... kinda late to start yours that way but a bucket and brine will pump up the moisture retention and make it more flavorful

I have one spatchcocked and dry brining in the fridge... kinda late to start yours that way but a bucket and brine will pump up the moisture retention and make it more flavorful
Can you talk about your dry brine process please? I've always wet brined and it takes up so much room in the fridge dry brining peeked my interest.

I pretty much always spatchcock my turkey, chicken, ducks and geese.

Thanks.
Dan

Have 3 11 pounders brining. Going to spatchcock, give them the big hypodermic needle with some spices and put a rub on them. Planning to smoke over hickory and apple ,

Can you talk about your dry brine process please? I've always wet brined and it takes up so much room in the fridge dry brining peeked my interest.

Thanks.
Dan

Thanks.
Dan

I make this... was started almost 4 days ago... cause Im smoking it not doing the veg part. Came out wonderful last year 250 in the smoker... 1 hour to form the peticule (sp) and then smoke for 3 or so until my temp probe hits 150 and pull it and place on a rack with foil on it.,, (it will continue cooking).
https://altonbrown.com/recipes/butt...turkey-with-roasted-root-vegetable-panzanella

Reactions: forktender
I cut mine completely in half and will cook that way. I have about a 12 pounder. Thinking it should take about 2 hours at 350? Any thoughts on the time as I want to have it ready by 3pm.

I spatchcock both whole turkeys and just the breasts along with chickens. I then add the backbone and neck to the smoker. I use the smoked Backbone, the Neck and Carcass to make Turkey/Chicken Stock, the smoke adds an additional flavor profile to the stock. The Stock makes a great substitute for water when making rice or pasta.

Hope it turns out great for you.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Well just found out tonight I will be making the turkey.(in-laws were quarantined for covid). I have not tried smoked turkey in 15 years or so. I did do a de-boned chicken that turned out great last summer. I am not sure I want to take the time to debone a whole turkey tho. So smoke it whole with some apple chunks in it or split it and smoke it flat? Anyone have any opinions on this? I will be buttering under the skin and injecting it with a butter/broth/seasoning mix. And Basting with butter/broth mix and finishing with a flame thrower to crisp the skin.(seemed to work good on the chicken last summer. lol)

Spatchcocking has some major advantages like even cooking & quicker time, but I prefer to do it normally. On a higher heat, the bird will come out really nicely and look beautiful while still looking like a turkey.

Thanks.
Dan

I have my kid home on leave with his wife to work on his project car with me. I sent him alot of beef jerky and Sticks when he was on duty over seas. So the Turkey was “drying for the last hour” of his stick cook... then I cranked up the smoker to 300 and smoked the bird... tell ya.. they look butt ugly.. but is the moistest turkey I has ever eaten...

Attachments

• E53CE180-EF46-45EB-8CDF-E713B1AD72CD.jpeg
    E53CE180-EF46-45EB-8CDF-E713B1AD72CD.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 682EC645-2382-4BFC-9D97-E9ACF6A94537.jpeg
    682EC645-2382-4BFC-9D97-E9ACF6A94537.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 26
I don't get how dry brining a bird overnight can change the outcome much. You wouldn't think that the salt and spices would penetrate the skin enough to make a difference. My mom dry brined the bird this year and it was outstanding and I'm not a big turkey eater and I ate two servings which I never do with turkey, so I guess it works. I bought a little 10 lber this morning to smoke to see if mom just got a great bird or if this dry brine thing actually makes turkey eatable too me. I hate dry turkey, so we shall see how it turns out. I need the carcass to make up some soup, so I figured what the heck.

Spatchcock is the way to go. Cooks even and faster. Unless somebody wants a whole bird for presentation .
image.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky