Turkey Price

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
don't know if it's the best price out there, but it's the lowest i've seen for a while. my local Aldi food store had Butterball frozen turkeys today for $1.09 a pound, marked down from $1.59 a pound , which was still way cheaper then other grocery stores in the area. the limit was 2 per person.

Reactions: JLeonard
The local KJ’s had it at 99 cents a lb here in upstate SC.
I had read expect 70% increase in Turkey prices this year.

99¢ a pound at Fry's Market (local Kroger affiliate). We're not big turkey fans, probably just pick up a couple of game hens to spin on the Weber, tho I just might pick up a breast to smoke like LoydB LoydB posted. There's always just having a porterhouse steak too! RAY

Last edited:
99¢ a pound at Fry's Market (local Kroger affiliate). We're not big turkey fans, probably just pick up a couple of game hens to spin on the Weber, or have a steak. RAY
I make 2-game hens every Thanksgiving and have myself a nice quiet dinner - and the mess is much faster to clean up. I love those little guys!

Reactions: sawhorseray
99¢ a pound at Fry's Market (local Kroger affiliate). We're not big turkey fans, probably just pick up a couple of game hens to spin on the Weber, tho I just might pick up a breast to smoke like LoydB LoydB posted. There's always just having a porterhouse steak too! RAY

The breast makes the most sense for us. There's just us two, and with the breast, there's zero waste, and we can finish it off before we're sick of turkey...

We get a big one and can the leftovers, makes a great quick meal on the shelf

Our Aldi here in NY is still $1.59/lb, picked one up. Last year my waited till right before Thanksgiving and paid over $5/lb...needless to say I was a bit peeved.

I see now Liedle has spiral cut hams for $.99/lb I will pick up at least three to double smoke and vac pack.

Nice price on the ham!!! Would love to find a deal like that around here!
Liedle is another German chain like Aldi coming in around here. They are a bit bigger than Aldi but also sell some of the same brands.

Not a turkey fan. Daughter is the only turkey eater in my family and if she didn't resemble me, I'd swear she must be from the milkman.
Years ago I had turkey poults the size of game hens. A little bit turkey gamey, but better than full sized

The things are like rats here, I get flocks in the yard a couple times a day.
There is no fall season though of course, only spring Turkey hunts here.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I've only had 2-turkey dinners that were tasty - one, an old friend (RIP Bobby) upstate NY roasted a fresh-killed turkey he bought from some nearby turkey farm, and the other, a fresh killed turkey I bought in Prescott Arizona from a farm that is no longer in business.

Total world of difference to any supermarket turkey I ever tasted no matter who cooked it. I also bought a whole pig from the Prescott Arizona farm and the pork chops were so good that I have literally not purchased nor eaten pork chops since that place closed its doors around 20-years ago...

2 fresh game hens will do me fine!

I bought 2-18 lb turkeys last year for .49 cents lb. Ground one for turkey burgers & smoked the other one. Hope we have a sale like that this year. But I doubt it!
Al

• Wow
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Liedle is another German chain like Aldi coming in around here. They are a bit bigger than Aldi but also sell some of the same brands.
The more competition, the better! Wish we could get more around here!

Wow .49¢, that's an amazing price!! Can't even remember that low of price around here unfortunately.

The things are like rats here, I get flocks in the yard a couple times a day.
There is no fall season though of course, only spring Turkey hunts here.
We have had turkeys in our yard at times, but not so many the last couple of years. Not sure why the numbers are down?

Reactions: Plinsc
Some years I see more than other years, but developers stripping woods out, unchecked predators ( a lot less people hunt predators like coyotes anymore ) all help numbers to decline.
No one traps coons, possum, skunks, Fox, ect.
either which doesn’t help.

I have a Jennie-O bone-in turkey breast in the freezer. Gonna brine it and smoke it for TG.

Winco had Butterballs for $1.59/lb earlier this week. They also had signs around the store that from 11/13 to 11/24 you get a free turkey if you spend $125. Same deal as last year when I got one or two free birds.

I used to see turkeys at 39-49 cents / lb the weekend after TG. I'd stock up for the year. I haven't seen that in years, though.

There's an issue with the fresh turkey supply this year. Buy early.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky