Turkey Practice ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Time to start thinking about a little practice again. Break out those turkeys we all bought after Thanksgiving last year on sale. Its been long enough so you'll have forgot how much you ate and it will taste good again, yet early enough so that you'll have time to get over it in time to do it again this year. LOL

This is a Butterball, it is NOT enhanced, nothing there but pure turkey goodness.

I have been trying for almost 50 years to recreate my Pop's most unbelievably turkey ever. It was a brand spanky new Weber charcoal water smoker. The first time we had ever had an injected turkey and we all were in awe of the bird. Every year on the practice bird I have to try to recreate the most awesome bird ever smoked. I am guessing we have all had one of those its why we still smoke meats!.

20 lb. bird. Thawed 2 days, dehydrated for 2 days in the reefer (Dry but not too dry)
Injected with the magic
Smoked on Apple (Pop always smoked on either mesquite, pecan or hickory)
1 hour @ 265 F
5 hours @ 220 F
IT of 163 F

The magic injection Pop used Lea & Perrins, liquid garlic, liquid onion, tabasco, butter & salt. BUt never gotten it exactly right. I have been doing brines because the length of time to do a big bird and safety. A proper turkey should be low and extremely slow so that all the tendons/leaders in the legs pull out without resistance.
This bird had a brine made up of Pops flavors Lea & Perrins, liquid garlic, liquid onion, tabasco, no butter. all dissolved in a std. brine of salt/sugar/sugar cranberry juice and apple juice. 24 oz were injected into the turkey the night before smoking. That way it had time to be wiped down and dehydrated overnight before smoking.

So pictures...... Sorry didn't take too many.

IMG_1015.JPG

I like everyone else have all kinds of injection devices, I used a standard cattle syringe purchased at any "Feed & Seed" store.

IMG_1021.JPG

LOL... 4 hours in when I noticed no smoke and started tearing the smoker apart ( its why we practice right?)

IMG_1023.JPG

Got a little apple on it, but you have to be looking for the taste to find it. LOL
Rested 45 mins. to exactly 163 IT

IMG_1026.JPG

Drowning in juice, just look at it. The breast beat was almost fall apart tender too.
I sliced it cause thats how they do it in the Norman Rockwell pictures, I know the right way, I just sometimes forget (practice right?)

IMG_1029.JPG

Thats an amazing amount of meat there off that one side of the breast.

IMG_1032.JPG

Last but not least the Q view. Thats southern fried white (Patty pan) squash, purple hull crowder peas, and a pigish amount of white meat. I was upset when I started writing this, I can't believe I forgot the cranberry jello mold. I mean it is plumb uncivilized to eat turkey with it! I am gonna go make some as soon as I finish this so tomorrow I will not feel so unsocialized. Thanksgiving, I throw in the green bean casserole and candied yams, but this is just to much I have to eat now.

Thats it Boys and Girls, its practice time in July and I don't need to cook any more for a few day now...LOL

Stand home, hug your smokers and stay safe my friends. It just ain't worth taking a chance going out just yet.

TTFN!!

Looks great! I’ll have to check out that kind of squash. I recently grabbed a bottle of onion juice , had never seen it before. I figured it would play into a good injection.

Looks great, I didn't find any clearance turkeys last year, not sure what happens to them around here, as much as we love turkey I am not sure why we don't cook more of them.

Well Kevin that is certainly a beautiful bird!
I’m sure your Pop’s would be proud to see it!
Al

Nice Looking Bird, you got there Foamy!!!
Nice Job---Lots of Great Sammies coming your way, now!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks INCREDIBLE. I would eat that once a month! Probably deep fry one now and then too.

I have a few recipes I'm chasing myself and hope you one day nail it! If you want any advice from what I've learned so far, the old timer recipes use less of the number of ingredients but MUCH more of those few ingredients. Also, preparing the injection by weight a la Omak/Marianski will be far more accurate and give you consistent results. IE 24oz for 20lb bird is about 3/4 the amount of liquid I would inject in mine (10% or 32oz).

Looks great! I’ll have to check out that kind of squash. I recently grabbed a bottle of onion juice , had never seen it before. I figured it would play into a good injection.

Fried white squash in the south is like sweet tea..... I finally got people here to at least try 'em when I stuff them, now its a thang. LOL Just remember to not water down the injection too much. I used to use butter like Pop did, but its always such a bitch because cold poultry = clotted needle.

Looks great, I didn't find any clearance turkeys last year, not sure what happens to them around here, as much as we love turkey I am not sure why we don't cook more of them.

Around here for the least few years we are actually seeing more and more (more expensive) heritage meats, turkeys included. Local farmer/butcher last year raised 500 and was sold out by halloween. People just amaze me sometimes.

Kevin, That bird looks incredible!

Thank you sir! Hope you and yours are all doing well.

I would for sure pull my chair up to that meal anytime of the year. Nothing wrong with a super yard bird.

Warren

You've always been welcome at my table Warren.

Beautiful bird Sir.
Jim

Thank you

Great looking turkey! That injection sounds really good too. I think its about time to get one done myself.

Thank you
Make sure the family is coming to visit that day....LOL

Well Kevin that is certainly a beautiful bird!
I’m sure your Pop’s would be proud to see it!
Al

Thanks Al, I really appreciate that thought. Hope that cute lady you cook for is doing great.

Nice Looking Bird, you got there Foamy!!!
Nice Job---Lots of Great Sammies coming your way, now!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

LOL... Bear, I had open face sammies tonight WITH the cranberry jello mold I forgot last night. It made a huge difference. I hope your bride and boy are all doing well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky