Turkey is in the brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Hey all,

I just put my 14lb turkey in the brine (basic brine recipe but with 1/2 the salt and some of my own Cinnamon Chipotle rub mixed in).  I'll be getting this bird out of the cold box in the morning around 8am and prepping it for smoking around 9 - 930am.  

I'll be photographing the progress throughout the day and will try to hop on here and share some pics with you.  I'll also be updating my blog site throughout the day with the same info for anyone interested.

This will be my third year smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving.  The wife still makes about a 22 pounder in the oven (the inlaws LOOOOVE to eat our food), but this insures plenty of good tastin' leftovers for the week ahead.  

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and I wanted to pop on here now and say THANKS to everyone on the forums that have been so generous in sharing their knowledge and friendship throughout the years!  You have helped me raise the level of my cooking, and for that my entire family is thankful!

Bill

icon_cool.gif

Alright now we want the Q-view of everything now.

Looking forward to the qview. Somehow I think it will be busy here tomorrow. Maybe Jeff better breakout the backup generator.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Here's the first few pictures of the turkey.  All prior to going on the smoker this morning.

Hope you enjoy!

28f9f2f8_1.jpg

Just prior to taking it out of the brine.

6c25748f_2.jpg

Rinsed and ready to season

a545c0f9_3.jpg

Butter and bbq rub under the skin

c051544f_4.jpg

Bacon on top to keep some moisture in the bird while it smokes.

Looks like its gonna be a good bird 

Finished!  The bird is cooked to perfection and will be carved after about an hour rest.

88ab88f4_5.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky