Turkey, injected with good stuff....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
OK, you guys/gals getting tired of me doing turkeys ???? Well.... I haven't smoked the perfect turkey yet so.... here's #5 or 6 or 10.... heck, I can't remember...

Anywho, Tony's garlic was injected, the whole bottle... That's about a 10% injection... It has cure#1 added (10 grams) and about a 1/2 amount of STPP ((10 grams) because the label, on the Tony's, said it has sodium phosphate in it already.. FWIW, I'm out of veggie stock or I would have used it..
I netted the bird and then injected it... easy-peasy... worked great... the giblets, wings, neck etc. are all in the toaster oven getting ready for old Dave to have a snack tonight while the bird is in the fridge... It's in the fridge so the cure and "internal" marinade can do it's job... so the skin will dry a bit... It's on a wire rack on a 1/4 sheet pan... The tag said it weighed about 13 #'s.. so I figure it's a good 10#'s....
See you tomorrow....
Turkey Injected 1-19-18 003.JPG ... Turkey Injected 1-19-18 004.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
In for the smoke. I need to try injecting more stuff.

The wings came out garlicky in the toaster oven...

Turkey is going in with a pellet mix of Alder, Sweet woods and Mesquite.. All are from Todd...

I always inject my turkeys, they have so much more flavor. Brining alone won't give you that flavor. Lately I've just been using chicken broth (low sodium), granulated garlic, butter, & lemon juice. I emulsify it in a Nutri bullet so the butter doesn't coagulate in pockets in the turkey. I'll pump 3 to 4 cups in a 22 lb. bird! I used to use Tony C's marinades too, but if you check the sodium content, it's through the roof!!!
Al

Evening perusers.. Good news and bad.... first the bad.... Tony's Garlic injection was horrible.. I've grown and eaten enough fresh hard neck garlic to know this was not like any garlic I've eaten... The good news.... The turkey was awesomely moist... I think the crappy garlic flavor overpowered the smoke flavor.. So I couldn't give a review of the mixture of pellets.... I think I could tell there was mesquite... That's good... I didn't want the mesquite to overpower the mild flavors of the other two woods... So, that test has to be rerun....

Into the smoker.....

009.JPG

Nice do.....

004.JPG ... 003.JPG

Really moist....
006.JPG ... 005.JPG

Next bird will be vegetable stock.. maybe some hard neck garlic...
Anyway, see ya all later.....

Was waiting for the results . Looks good . The leg pic ,, wow . To bad the flavor did not make it for you .

Well it's a purdy bird Dave! Keep the veggie stock in stock huh...
Or maybe try this next time.
ingredients-dipping-sauce-garlic.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the garlicky taste Dave, but your bird looks really moist and the color is perfect.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Yeah it is... I normally inject vegetable stock ... I was out so I went with what I had... Believe me... I will eat it.. lots of horseradish ....

The last two turkeys i have done have had Tony C's injection but i use just the butter flavor..my wife hates the garlic one. I have done one in the oven and one on the smoker and both were amazing! in suggest if you use a commercial injection again try the straight butter flavor and you will probably like it better.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky