Turkey in a hole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nole4L

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Starting to think about Thanksgiving. I've seen several YouTube videos but I'm curious if anyone here has first hand experience cooking Turkey in the ground. I'm planning to try it (along with one cooked in the oven) for Thanksgiving.

Never heard of anyone trying that, but, if you can cook a pig in the ground you've got to be able to cook a turkey there, too.

Best luck.

while boondock camping my cousins n uncles n I would fire up Friday nite in the dug hole and put the chicken's in over nite. we would cut out the back or spatch cock the birds wrap in foil with different spices n rubs in each n take out at noon depending on coal bed. if large coal bed throw on dirt first then birds n cover fast. now for us coal bed is large from Friday nite party, so use good sense for dirt first or not. with pork butts its not as testy as they always turn out good n not taken out till later afternoon. try two chickens in one wrapped several layers in foil or one big turkey and always inside down, jeff

All wrapped tight in foil and sealed in the ground. I have to wonder if you are Roasting it or Steaming the Bird. I have not tried it, so I'll watch...JJ

it is like steaming. only way to roast is wet burlap and we never had luck with foul that way. the ease of putting on fire for and putting out fire was the goal for next day.. we did lotsa pork and beef with burlap but always with little dirt first. now if ya ever done this ya do know that you have a cover for the hole and ya seal the top. you don't put dirt on the wraps or sacks., right?? done hundreds.

As to the "not sure why you'd want to do this" question it's just curiosity. I ran a race two years ago at a "camp for wayward boys" and the staff mentioned that they do "turkey in a hole" every Thanksgiving. I've been curious about it ever since. I have a son and nephew who are prime digging age so I'm going to have them do the digging whilst I enjoy a beer and supervise. I'll take pics and report back. :-)

it is like steaming. only way to roast is wet burlap and we never had luck with foul that way. the ease of putting on fire for and putting out fire was the goal for next day.. we did lotsa pork and beef with burlap but always with little dirt first. now if ya ever done this ya do know that you have a cover for the hole and ya seal the top. you don't put dirt on the wraps or sacks., right?? done hundreds.

The way I'm planning.....dig a hole about 3X3X3. Build a large fire in it and put some rocks in with the fire. Once it's burned down to embers take about half the embers/rocks out. Put sand on top of embers left in hole. Put the turkey (in a roasting back, aluminum pan and burlap sack) on the sand. Cover the bird with sand and put remaining embers/rocks on top. Cover those embers with dirt. Let is roast for 12 hours (yes I know that seems like a long time but that's what the most reliable video I watched said). After 12 hours remove. You can brown it up with the broiler in the oven for better presentation.

anyway...that's the plan. I'm cooking one in the oven as well.

Last edited:
Just some out of the box thinking here. To give it a unique flavor, might be interesting to wrap the bird in banana leaves ordered online, like kalua pork. Hmmm...
Hmmmm. Might be interesting. Living in Florida there's no need to order them. Just walk over to my mother-in-law's and grab a few. I might test drive this with some chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky