Turkey failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flareside92

R.I.P. Gone But Never Forgotten.
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
NW Iowa
Tried to cure a turkey with Pop's brine and after 3 days of sitting in the fridge, the liquid was all slimy.
Perhaps temps too warm?
Dumped it and tossed the turkey!
Never had that happen before.

What all was in the brine ?? Was the turkey below 38 when you put it in the brine?? Was the brine below 38 when you put the turkey in it?? What is your fridge temp??
RopyStringyBrine1.jpg RopyStringyBrine2.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
What all was in the brine ?? Was the turkey below 38 when you put it in the brine?? Was the brine below 38 when you put the turkey in it?? What is your fridge temp??
View attachment 402370 View attachment 402371
I checked fridge temps when I put the turkey in and it was 38. I'm beginning to think I made the error. I went back the next day and checked the temps and it was 52. My bad.

If it's a side by side , you have to be careful not to block the air flow vent .

Not sure how it got to 52 but turned it down and now sitting at 36 with 2 porkbutts in it for family rebellion next weekend. We'll see what happens.

Flareside92 spent some time in the hospital and missed the family rebellion. I ended up smoking the pork butts for him, so they didn't go to waste. I'm really going to miss him...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky