Turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan mcfadden

Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Fort Dodge iowa
I'm smoking a turkey breast Monday...Will I need to brine it if so how long and in what? I did get some apple chips for breast. Then on Wednesday or Thursday wife wants to do a sample run with a pork loin will I need to brine that as well? She talked to her daughter and the family wants it hickory smoked

I'm smoking a turkey breast Monday...Will I need to brine it if so how long and in what? I did get some apple chips for breast. Then on Wednesday or Thursday wife wants to do a sample run with a pork loin will I need to brine that as well? She talked to her daughter and the family wants it hickory smoked
I usually wet brine (apple juice water salt cure#1 and cinnamon). Use a round ended spoon or something or that nature to lift skin so that brine will have better access to meat (leave skin still attached though). Dry brine i rub spices under skin as well as on top. Smoke cook until an IT of 160 pull it and let it rest if immediate consumption is planned...if not wrap it and refrigerate as soon as it is out of smoker. Apple chips is a good smoke wood for turkey, though I have used other woods.

I love to brine turkey breast before a smoke, there are a few recipe's on this site for it, The flavor is well worth it. We usually do 24-36 hrs in brine and smoke. Last one we did with skin on, the skin was not crispy but breast was perfectly cooked, juicy and moist. Always a winner for us.

My suggestion would be 1/2 gallon of water with 1/2 cup of kosher in a plastic container that can be sealed and refrigerated. That amount should submerse the breast. You can also use buttermilk which is awesome. Make sure to stir until salt is totally dissolved. I would say no more than 4 hrs before you cook would be more than enough time. You can add more or less salt to the mix if you like. I try not to over load with salt. Rinse off and dry before applying your seasoning. It’s also ok to season prior to submersing and applying again after brine. This is just how I do it, there’s a bunch of techniques out there. Hope this helps. As far as the wood goes, I like to use fruit wood for my pork and poultry. It’s a little more subtle. Hickory is a great all around flavor. I would drop some pecan or cherry in with the smoke.

I put mine right on the rack or I use this smoker tray I have. I don't like to use aluminum pans for things I know will have a minimal amount of mess, just a waste of money to me . Turkey doesn't make a huge mess.

Turkey breast's are pretty lean. I'd go directly on the grate.

Chris

Do I have this set up they way its suppose to go?

Attachments

• 152987085209573630259451353104.jpg
    152987085209573630259451353104.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 52
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky