Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqeejo

Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
Lubbock, Tx
Where does one find Turkey breasts like they use in most BBQ joints? The ones I've seen sliced look huge compared to what I've found in local stores

Never been to a place that served turkey breast BBQ.. sounds different... how is it served?

They smoke them bonless, skin off (everytime I see them), and they are GIGANTIC.
I want to say that one half has got to be like 7 -8 pounds alone.

You tell them you want 1/4 pound or 2 slices, or "this much" (using your fingers to measure it out) and they slice it and serve it on your plate :)

It is one of my favorite things to order at a true BBQ joint here in TX. So many don't even have a clue about it and never even know to order it. A slice or two of smoked turkey breast and about "this much" (7 inch cut) of jalapeno sausage (usually Hot Gut style) and man you can make one hell of a lunch sandwich with some onion and bbq sauce!

I smoke turkey breast several times a year. I buy bone in breasts that weigh about six pounds. 24 hour brine, four hour smoke at 250 and it comes out as good as anything I’ve had at a bbq joint. If you’re looking for monster boneless breasts, my guess is a restaurant distributor is the place to start. You could also try Cash and Carry, if you have them there.

They smoke them bonless, skin off (everytime I see them), and they are GIGANTIC.
I want to say that one half has got to be like 7 -8 pounds alone.

You tell them you want 1/4 pound or 2 slices, or "this much" (using your fingers to measure it out) and they slice it and serve it on your plate :)

It is one of my favorite things to order at a true BBQ joint here in TX. So many don't even have a clue about it and never even know to order it. A slice or two of smoked turkey breast and about "this much" (7 inch cut) of jalapeno sausage (usually Hot Gut style) and man you can make one hell of a lunch sandwich with some onion and bbq sauce!

I recently went on a little BBQ trip to the Austin area. I visited Salt Lick, Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz and to top it off, Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX. I have been in TX over 30 years and never had BBQ Turkey breast. On my trip I was really surprised how good the turkey was! In fact I just ordered a 9lb turkey breast from my local meat market to pick up tomorrow. Going to smoke it on my new Camp Chef STX this weekend. Turkey is now one of my favorites as well.

I recently went on a little BBQ trip to the Austin area. I visited Salt Lick, Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz and to top it off, Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX. I have been in TX over 30 years and never had BBQ Turkey breast. On my trip I was really surprised how good the turkey was! In fact I just ordered a 9lb turkey breast from my local meat market to pick up tomorrow. Going to smoke it on my new Camp Chef STX this weekend. Turkey is now one of my favorites as well.

Hi there and welcome!
You my friend have discovered one of the secrets meats of good BBQ. Many places don't get it right so they don't offer it BUT when places get it right and you get it then WOW! It is one of the things I always try to get a piece of even if it's just a small piece or a single slice :)

The only time I have done turkey breast I have bought them frozen from the store and it comes with the bones/back all attached. I just deboned the breast meat. The largest I have come across this way were probably less than half the size of those monster turkey breasts you see at some of the BBQ joints that smoke them.

Somewhere out there mutant giant breasted turkeys are being made... i just don't know where to get a hold of them. Let us know if you figure it out :)

The only time I have done turkey breast I have bought them frozen from the store and it comes with the bones/back all attached. I just deboned the breast meat. The largest I have come across this way were probably less than half the size of those monster turkey breasts you see at some of the BBQ joints that smoke them.

Somewhere out there mutant giant breasted turkeys are being made... i just don't know where to get a hold of them. Let us know if you figure it out :)

Just buy a whole turkey and have the butcher cut the breasts out for you.

Just buy a whole turkey and have the butcher cut the breasts out for you.

To get the super huge turkey breast that BBQ joints seem to get, I would have to find something like a 40 pound turkey lol. The deboning of the breast isn't the issue. The issue is finding these giant mutant turkeys :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky