turkey breast and drummies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mvincent42

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
aurora, co
Im going to be smoking meat for thanksgiving this year. I am planning on not doing a whole turkey but smoking 2 turkey breasts and 4 drummies. Since I have never smoked these particular things before, I would welcome any advice or links to advice that you could provide. Thanks in advance!

Sorry I cant help either since I have not done one but if you put that up in search button it may help ya wish ya luck. Some one will stop in help ya also.

Vincent , even though many choose to 'inject' their meat , I chose to Brine. I get a better and more thourough flavoring , as the Osmotic pressures take the Brine everywhere, not just in little streaks and spots . I find a juicier Bird over-all and what extra flavors I choose to add get all the way to the bone.

And for an even bigger flavor ,I place little coins of a compound Butter under the skin of the Breast and as far as I can down the Legs and Thighs.

I'm not bashing you Bama, I just don't a lot of holes in my Turkey. The darn 'Red Pop-up' is enough, my thinking is -the more holes ,the more juice is lost... JMHO
biggrin.gif

As Bama says , cook high 275*  to 350* is a nice range. Deep Breast IT @ 165* and 175* in Thighs. The result will be amazingly juicy throughout.

Just sayin'... have fun and...

Brined a 13 lb turkey this weekend and smoked at 220 for about 5 hours til 170 inside. Best turkey I have ever eaten. Going to do 2 boneless breasts and 6 turkey legs Wednesday. Going to brine everything then switch up some flavors. Will post pics here as I go along.

Brine recipe
Boil:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup granulated garlic
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 lemons
Mixed fresh ground pepper
1 quart chicken stock

add enough water once boiled and cooled to cover all my meat.

So...I didn't get any pictures so I guess it didn't happen...but if it had happened it turned out great. I did one breast with a maple chipotle glaze, a second breast that I wrapped in a bacon lattice, 2 dummies I injected with homemade honey hot sauce and the other 4 I just put a compound butter over and under the skin. Smoked at 220 for about 3 hours. Turned out awesome. Also made 2 lbs of chicken livers wrapped in bacon.

The best was the gravy...put about 1/2 a cup of water in my drip pan when I started and collected all the good juices. Mixed them with some store bought gravy packets and water and cooked and thickened with corn starch. Best gravy I have ever eaten. Just the right amount of smoky flavor plus bacon and chicken flavor.

Thanks to everyone for advice. I promise pictures next time. Ended up having 14 people and on top of turkey and gravy lots of side dishes. I think everyone (even grandma) had seconds!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky