Tublin 5 info

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr crab

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
I will be testing tublin 5 salumi casings soon. Just thought I would check here for success/disaster stories first

Yes. This material is supposed to be smoke permeable though. I think tublin is currently used in Australia and Europe?? I was hoping to maybe hear from somebody in those areas that has used em before. Are there many international members in this forum?

Yes there are international members... I think they sell their stuff under other names.. I just wrote the company and I am awaiting their response... I "should" know more by next week.... I asked them about retail outlet...
Have you bought casings ?? Where ?? How much ??

Yeah. I got em from umai. They call em "experimental" but I understand that they are what others call tublin 5. Aka a smoke permeable umai casing. Im looking forward to trying them, but was wondering what others have made with them. My plan for now is to treat them like natural casings. Cure the meat with #2 and spices, then stuff, cold smoke, and refrigerate for drying like normal umai. Any thoughts for using cure #1 instead? What about fermenting? Maybe some of the experienced fermented sausage makers here will have an opinion even if they don't have experience with this new product? Thanks in advance

If you plan on referring the meat for several days, then hanging to dry at 48-50 def. F, the cure #2 is the good choice... I would add salt to 2.8% + cure#2 at 0.25%...
Cure#2 does not work at 38 deg. F..... only the nitrite works below 40... nitrate needs bacteria to convert to nitrite.. those bacteria need the mid 40's to grow...

I received their response... UMAI is the US supplier... I asked about competition to lower the cost..
They said, "Production cost for a bag with the skills you have in Tublin is of course not cheap.
I do not have any chance to set the price for UMAI - They have their own business, out of my hands, and be aware that the freight cost from Denmark to US is pretty high.

If you focus not on the price, but on the value adding the bag do - you will don’t care about the price. You can’t find another application in the slaughter world who gives you more value than this bag.

Wish you good luck using the bags.".....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky