Tube or tray? Which one for propane vertical cold/warm smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I'm gearing up for a run at bacon. I was recently given a refrigerator for a curing frig. so now I will be set for making bacon. I will be buying a 70# case of bellies soon. Question is, which Amazin product to use????

My smokehouse is 2.5' X 2.5' X 6' tall; 36cu. ft.....lots of room for 70# of bellies.

Here is a pic. of the floor and the 2" dia. air intake vents (one on each side) taken when I built the smokehouse and did the initial seasoning burn.

full

MY plan is to put two pipes going from left to right on the 2" floor braces and place either the tray or tubes on the pipes. I can move them near or away from the vents for more or less air flow.

Which one will work best for my application?

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

I have two 3" exhaust vents at the top on either side. I plan on adding two 3" 90*'s and about 6' of vent pipe on each side for added pull for excellent draft @ low temperatures. Air flow will not be a problem, I will have 12' of draft through the smokehouse.....

I wish I knew where to get 70 pounds of belly at a decent price I’d be in heaven as long as I had a couple cases of cold ones to go with it!

Anyways can’t speak for the tube but my tray puts off tons of smoke and works great for cold smoking. Always use apple for bacon and cheese.

Don’t think you can go wrong either way. I might have misunderstood but if you are adding heat to a propane rig then the tube is the way to go. I think cold smoking I’d go with the tray IMO

I may need to add heat with the propane burner to smoke if I push the temps. up to 120~130*. But I will cold smoke the bellies first and try to hold the temps below about 85*... I'm thinking 12 hours minimum, then bump the temp up to 125ish* to get a good color on the bellies.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I got a meat wholesaler in Baton Rouge where I can get cases of bellies at a decent price....

Ship some up my way...only place to get belly around here is the skinny ones from Costco for $2.99 lb! Just IMO I do mine with the tray cold smoked for 12 hours. Depending on the temp outside I usually never get above 80. But some people like it hot smoked so I can’t comment on that part but the tray apple pellets and 12 hours smoke has never done me wrong

Ship some up my way...only place to get belly around here is the skinny ones from Costco for $2.99 lb! Just IMO I do mine with the tray cold smoked for 12 hours. Depending on the temp outside I usually never get above 80. But some people like it hot smoked so I can’t comment on that part but the tray apple pellets and 12 hours smoke has never done me wrong
Think I can get a 70# box for $140.00~160.00. Price varies with commodities index...

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Is that plywood walls? any chance the glue could release some harmful or off taste due to the glue used to make it? good luck and let us know how it turns out

I think the original tube puts out more smoke, but I don't think it lasts as long. The maze puts out a good amount of smoke(at least for my 22" WSM) and is more versatile. As it can burn pellets or dust equally. I'm not sure how long the burn time is on the expandable tube. Just me, judging by some of the pictures I've seen on the forum I think the maze burns cleaner also.

Chris

A few others have had success cold smoking cheese with a tube in large smokers. That said, love my tray but I have a tiny MES. I think it's all about finding a good match. IE I think the tray and dust is really good for cold smoking in MES but not sure if dust would fare well in such a large smoker. The large capacity of the tray is really helpful for long smokes. I would try a tray and pellets first.

Biggest advantage of Tube over Maze is, the tube burns in the lower Oxygen condition in most Propane Smokers. I would certainly think the 2 2" vents would supply plenty of O2 but I'm no expert on builds. That said, the tube does not burn quite as long but it does put out A MUCH higher volume of smoke need in big cabinets. In this situation, questionable oxygen with the burner on and large volume to fill, I would go Expandable Tube...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
I may eventually fabricate a 3" hole with manifold and cover on the back of the smokehouse for an external cold smoke box similar to the mailbox mod for the MES. We'll see how the AMAZIN tube works...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky