Trying to decide...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Should I smoke/roast a pork belly, or smoke/roast a pork shoulder...

I do not want to make pulled pork - I've just never been a fan of the stuff. I know people love it but it doesn't do a thing for me, and besides, I have to avoid the sugary barbecue sauces (Dr. orders) that people seem to drown it in. I want something more roasted than smoked, but with a nice smoke flavor. A little brown sugar in the rub I can get away with. Of course I will have to rely on kiln dried HEB or Home Depot hickory.

I am stuck in a whirlwind! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: JLeonard

I do not want to make pulled pork - I've just never been a fan of the stuff. I know people love it but it doesn't do a thing for me, and besides, I have to avoid the sugary barbecue sauces (Dr. orders) that people seem to drown it in. I want something more roasted than smoked, but with a nice smoke flavor. A little brown sugar in the rub I can get away with. Of course I will have to rely on kiln dried HEB or Home Depot hickory.

Maybe smoke the belly , slice when tender and crisp the slices on grill or air fryer? For the butt perhaps brine it in Pops brine to do some buckboard bacon? For BBQ sauces I highly recommend you check out the G Hughes sugar free BBQ sauces. It’s all I use and guests never know the difference. For your rubs you can replace the brown sugar with either Brown Swerve or Golden Lakanto. The Swerve is closest. None of these will impact your blood sugar negatively. This link is maybe one of my favorite pork belly uses ever https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jamaican-feast-2022.316971/

Last edited:
I would turn the belly into bacon and the shoulder into meat for sammies like a Cuban.

Chris

Edit: or what Jeff suggested.

Reactions: jcam222
HEB used to sell something called Pork Belly Strips - I think it was trimmings from when they would square-up pork bellies. The stopped carrying them because customers complained that they were too fatty... 😐

They were low cost and I used to coat them with SPOG and brown sugar and the hot smoke them until crispy and MAN were they good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE and jcam222
Maybe smoke the belly , slice when tender and crisp the slices on grill or air fryer? For the butt perhaps brine it in Pops brine to do some buckboard bacon? For BBQ sauces I highly recommend you check out the G Hughes sugar free BBQ sauces. It’s all I use and guests never know the difference. For your rubs you can replace the brown sugar with either Brown Swerve or Golden Lakanto. The Swerve is closest. None of these will impact your blood sugar negatively. This link is maybe one of my favorite pork belly uses ever https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jamaican-feast-2022.316971/
Link looks amazing but I live alone and tend to keep my cooks simpler - and I am always afraid to try any of these new-fangled substitutes because almost invariably a few years later some bad news come out about them - I would rather just do with a small amount of organic brown sugar, or none. :emoji_thumbsup:

Did this not to long ago . Lean end of a pork loin so I pulled it off around 140 ish . Pork shoulder has better flavor , but this was really good on the spinner .

Did this not to long ago . Lean end of a pork loin so I pulled it off around 140 ish . Pork shoulder has better flavor , but this was really good on the spinner .
DAMN that looks good! Too bad I am off the bread too...

Just 2-weeks ago I bought my first pork loin. Cut it into nice 1-1/2" chops and a roast that was about 10" long... Cooked one of those cops on the grill low and slow to perfect medium (slight blush of pink in the middle) and... it was WAY too lean for me, and my digestive system had a terrible time processing it. Just too dense...

I gave all the chops and roast to a neighbor - he mentioned butterflying the chops, hammering them, and breading and frying them. He was excited...

Reactions: chopsaw
Roast pork shoulder it is. Thanks chopsaw chopsaw !

I am going to give it a SPOG and organic brown sugar rub and roast it in my smoker at 300 to 325 degrees.

Reactions: chopsaw
I gave all the chops and roast to a neighbor - he mentioned butterflying the chops, hammering them, and breading and frying them. He was excited...
Now that's a great idea !

Reactions: Retired Spook
I like the G Hughes stuff as well.

Now that's a great idea !
The breading would put me in a coma! :emoji_laughing:

That pork loin is just too dry for me - even slightly pink.

I do not want to make pulled pork - I've just never been a fan of the stuff. I know people love it but it doesn't do a thing for me, and besides, I have to avoid the sugary barbecue sauces (Dr. orders) that people seem to drown it in.

Feel sorry for you. Sounds to me you've never had GOOD PP. Good PP is some of the best smoked fare you can have. So good it needs no sauce, heck I rarely even use a bun. I use this a basis but also add STPP. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hog-injection-365433

I LOVE pork loin. The key is brining. Ran chopsaw chopsaw pork roast (CSS dry brine) a number of times but SV. GOOD STUFF. Makes wicked good pork shops like you get at high end steak joints but can also slice it thin and do the pork sandwiches too. Reminds me I got a few pounds in the freezer...

20220911_190651_resized_1.jpg

Feel sorry for you. Sounds to me you've never had GOOD PP. Good PP is some of the best smoked fare you can have. So good it needs no sauce, heck I rarely even use a bun. I use this a basis but also add STPP. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hog-injection-365433

I LOVE pork loin. The key is brining. Ran chopsaw chopsaw pork roast (CSS dry brine) a number of times but SV. GOOD STUFF. Makes wicked good pork shops like you get at high end steak joints but can also slice it thin and do the pork sandwiches too. Reminds me I got a few pounds in the freezer...

View attachment 657678
No need to feel sorry for me - I just do not like the stuff.

Reactions: zwiller

Personally I would go with pork butt, BUT, done a different way.

I'm talking about "Boneless Ribs" via the pork butt!
woxvck2-png.png
r6rever-png.png

You can read up on all the details in this post:

In short, I just debone a pork butt, Then roll/butterfly it out until it's about flat, and cut 3 flat "slabs" or so.

I then smoke those flat slabs like ribs and honestly, they come out better tasting than ribs to me!

I don't add any sugar of any kind, just Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika.

I also don't mop/sauce the ribs at all.

At the table BBQ sauce gets added by anyone to the meat they put on their plate should they want some sweet flavor or whatever sauce flavor they want to add.

This is simple and comes out amazing. I recommend this as an option based on what you have posted.

Why this over pork belly?
I find I like the pork belly to geat a little seared or a little crispy which only happens with high enough heat. My smoker doesn't run that hot so I would rather grill or oven roast pork belly vs doing these "boneless ribs".

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky