Trying Some New Flour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Was at the Amish store today. Picked up 5 lbs of prairie gold and my normal bag of rye.

20220402_200604.jpg

Let us know how it works out. I think I'm done with King Arthur. The price at Meijer just jumped to $4.99 and Gold Medal and Pillsbury are Still $2.99 (on sale for $2.49).
It can't be that much better..
I can think of a couple of stores around here that might carry that.

Let us know how it works out. I think I'm done with King Arthur. The price at Meijer just jumped to $4.99 and Gold Medal and Pillsbury are Still $2.99 (on sale for $2.49).
Will do.
Going to try to bake tomorrow.

If this is good flour im going to get a 50 lb bag at the amish store for $61

keep us posted. I always use Central Mills organic AP flour that I get at Costco.

Mose, I'm HUGE penny pincher, but I've tried ALL the other flours that are generally available. Nothing has performed as consistently as the King Arthur. Basically you get 5 loaves of bread for $1.15 /loaf when you figure in the yeast. Water and salt might add a penny.

I literally took a rustic loaf out of the oven 15 minutes before I started typing here. Look at this oven spring and ear! KA Bread flour.

20220403_141930.jpg

20220403_141134.jpg

Mose, I'm HUGE penny pincher, but I've tried ALL the other flours that are generally available. Nothing has performed as consistently as the King Arthur. Basically you get 5 loaves of bread for $1.15 /loaf when you figure in the yeast. Water and salt might add a penny.

I literally took a rustic loaf out of the oven 15 minutes before I started typing here. Look at this oven spring and ear! KA Bread flour.

View attachment 628070
View attachment 628071
I'll keep using King Arthur. It ticked me off that they raised the price is all LOL! I am going to try the cheaper stuff for feeding sourdough starter. We'll see.
That's one beautiful loaf of bread, sir! You just convinced me to pull Elmo out of the fridge and after one feeding and counter rest he's already looking frisky :emoji_relaxed:
This will be my first try using nothing but all-purpose... elmo.jpg

I'll keep using King Arthur. It ticked me off that they raised the price is all LOL!
Absolutely. Understood. The price has gone up $1 per 5 lb bag where I shop, but bread prices have risen, too.

Was at the Amish store today. Picked up 5 lbs of prairie gold and my normal bag of rye.

View attachment 627907

First thing I did was check their distribution. Not available in Kalifornia. New flours are fun and often surprising. Looking forward to the pics!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky