troubleshooting masterbuilt smoker not smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dbrown1450

Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
I just received the Masterbuilt smoker MES 430/S that I ordered from their web site a few days ago. It will not smoke the wood chips. The bottom element heats up but no smoke from the smoker. I can't get Masterbuilt to return my email and they are not answering the phone, a recorded message blames Covid 19 and directs you to their web site. Most businesses are working their employees from home for customer service. I'm so frustrated! I saved a long time to buy this smoker, finally get it and it won't work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Deb

What temp are you set at? Digital thermometer to known for sure you are at the temp intended? They normally don't produce smoke unless up above 200° to initially get wood chips started.

Set it to 250* for an hour and see if you get smoke, if you do you can turn it down to 225* which is a good temp to smoke most things. I actually prefer 250*+ for 90% of my smokes.

What temp are you set at? Digital thermometer to known for sure you are at the temp intended? They normally don't produce smoke unless up above 200° to initially get wood chips started.
I tried seasoning the unit like the instructions said @ 275. The unit itself got hot but no smoke. I then cooked baby backs for 6 hrs and they were barely done. Finished them in my oven. So I think this smoker is defective.

Set it to 250* for an hour and see if you get smoke, if you do you can turn it down to 225* which is a good temp to smoke most things. I actually prefer 250*+ for 90% of my smokes.
I tried 275 with no smoke results. I'm so ticked right now

Are you independently verifying these temps with your own thermometer?
I started it again with an oven thermometer on the center shelf. Set it to 275, after 1 hr it stayed between 275 and 300 on the oven thermometer yet the wood chips are barely hot to the touch. This model does have a small heating element over the wood box that I think maybe isn't heating up.

Another reason to buy a smoke tube or Maze.
That stinks that you can't get ahold of anyone. Sorry man, make a smoke bomb out of chips or dust wrapped up in foil and put it directly on the burner.

Reactions: fivetricks
Another reason to buy a smoke tube or Maze.
That stinks that you can't get ahold of anyone. Sorry man, make a smoke bomb out of chips or dust wrapped up in foil and put it directly on the burner.
thank you for the suggestion

I started it again with an oven thermometer on the center shelf. Set it to 275, after 1 hr it stayed between 275 and 300 on the oven thermometer yet the wood chips are barely hot to the touch. This model does have a small heating element over the wood box that I think maybe isn't heating up.
If you have the independent chip/chunk burner and the side door to drop in the wood that sits on the independent burner, it has five temp settings to burn wood. Usually setting 1 for chips and 2-5 for chunks. The burner is always under the wood. What did the directions say about running the chip/chunk burner?

Reactions: Winterrider
Try Masterbuilt's page on FB and messenger them. That's the fastest response.
Thank you, I will
If you have the independent chip/chunk burner and the side door to drop in the wood that sits on the independent burner, it has five temp settings to burn wood. Usually setting 1 for chips and 2-5 for chunks. The burner is always under the wood. What did the directions say about running the chip/chunk burner?
it said to use setting 1 for chips which is what I did

I just received the Masterbuilt smoker MES 430/S that I ordered from their web site a few days ago. It will not smoke the wood chips. The bottom element heats up but no smoke from the smoker. I can't get Masterbuilt to return my email and they are not answering the phone, a recorded message blames Covid 19 and directs you to their web site. Most businesses are working their employees from home for customer service. I'm so frustrated! I saved a long time to buy this smoker, finally get it and it won't work. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Deb

Hi there and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that.

In any case the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray will give you 12 hours of perfect smoke so basically every MES owner uses it and abandons whatever onboard smoking mechanism that comes with the MES. Also with AMNPS u can cold smoke where u wont be able to do that with the onboard chip smoking unit.

Again it sucks that u cant use what you bought but honestly u should have a way better setup using the AMNPS tray and a 20-40 pound bag of pellets lasts a loooooong time so u get savings in the end :)

I tried seasoning the unit like the instructions said @ 275. The unit itself got hot but no smoke. I then cooked baby backs for 6 hrs and they were barely done. Finished them in my oven. So I think this smoker is defective.
BB ribs for 6 hours 275 275 and not done? I think you got a bum smoker.

Hi there and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that.

In any case the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) tray will give you 12 hours of perfect smoke so basically every MES owner uses it and abandons whatever onboard smoking mechanism that comes with the MES. Also with AMNPS u can cold smoke where u wont be able to do that with the onboard chip smoking unit.

Again it sucks that u cant use what you bought but honestly u should have a way better setup using the AMNPS tray and a 20-40 pound bag of pellets lasts a loooooong time so u get savings in the end :)
I agree with the addition of an AMNPS but ONLY if the smoker heats up and cooks. As I stated above, the ribs should have been fully cooked after 6 hours. I would be returning the unit to the store .

BB ribs for 6 hours 275 275 and not done? I think you got a bum smoker.

I agree with the addition of an AMNPS but ONLY if the smoker heats up and cooks. As I stated above, the ribs should have been fully cooked after 6 hours. I would be returning the unit to the store .

Good point, if it aint cooking then definitely return it haha.

I was having trouble with food cooking slowly on my new MES 40. On the 5th smoke I bought a Inkbird 4 probe thermometer which showed that when the smoker showed it was at 225 it was only 167 in the smoker. After running it at 275 for several hours my temp only rose to 212-214. The outside temp that day was 81. I am about to try contacting Masterbuilt as I got the smoker at X-mas and have only used it 5 times.

I was having trouble with food cooking slowly on my new MES 40. On the 5th smoke I bought a Inkbird 4 probe thermometer which showed that when the smoker showed it was at 225 it was only 167 in the smoker. After running it at 275 for several hours my temp only rose to 212-214. The outside temp that day was 81. I am about to try contacting Masterbuilt as I got the smoker at X-mas and have only used it 5 times.

Hi there and welcome!

Yeah contact them. It sounds like u have a bad smoker probe or something else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky