trouble with AMNS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyk

Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I've had this about 10 months. I wanted to use it with my 40" MES. I can't get it to stay lit. My vent is open, I have removed the chip loader an the chip box. it will not stay lit. when I fill it with pellets I fill to the top. then lighting it I use a small torch and keep the flame on it until it staus lit on its own. I put it in the MES and it  will go out. WHY?????

Hi JohnnyK ..

You must be a bit frustrated ... Your previous 5 or so threads over the last 8 months have all related to this problem... In some you have a AMNS, in others it is an AMNPS, And in this one you are back to an AMNS with pellets, very confusing for the form .... I realize that the 59 or so replys that your posts received were not all on point, and some threads were taken over , so this should help

Search in the search bar using only the following two words ... AMNPS MES40. ... You should get lots of info

Check out

1. A-maze-n web site .. Look at the facts page .. Remember to mix your cherry pellets with a second type , and Todd suggests that you you use more of the second flavor and layer the cherry in the middle
2. Microwave ( or bake) your pellets for about 30 - 40 seconds just before you lite them
3. Get a good burn going before you blow out the flame and put the pellets in the MES

The search will advise you all of this .. Plus .. Ideas on chips to buy , venting, unit placement, etc

Hope it as simple as you using cherry pellets , or not microvaving (pellets can gather moisture) .. Todd showed you how to get a good start on the pellets ..

Took me a few tries to get it right and I just used a blowtorch ( mini )

Good luck .. Have fun reading .. :-)

Ross

Edit ... You posted while I typed this .. See you are not using cherry so that is not a problem :-). Also you cleared up the AMNPS .. The search will really help you .. :-)

Last edited:
Yup, you need to let the pellets burn for about 5-10 minutes then blow them out. The should stay burning if you get a good fire burning and some pellet coals. I put the oak on the bottom and the cherry on top. Stays lit for me that way...good luck.........
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky