Trouble getting temp down on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasec5308

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
piney woods ms
Hey guys/gals. So far im loving my new WSM and todays cook will make my 3rd cook on it. But something ive struggled with so far on every cook is getting the temp down to where i want it. I started with the vents all the way open then after a little while i shut them down about half way and the temp still stayed the same. I eventually had to close all the vents to get it come down, and even then its slow coming down. I feel like air is coming in from around the lid, keeping it from coming down. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks yall. Oh and by the way..im using regular kingsford charcoal.

hi, i used a WSM for years. it kinda depends on how low you are shooting for. but here are some tips;
  • a full starter will get you off to a hot start and take a few to a while to cool down.
  • try using less starter coals
  • try using the water bowl (lined with foil) with cold water - this will off set the initial high temps, but for a long cook it will also consume more fuel.
  • minion method and variation on how many starter coals will make start lower and come up slower.
  • A party q controler will make life way easy-you can literally just leave to do its thing.
  • I sealed my lid and side door both leaked like crazy. check out these guys for seal kits and such. the lid hinge is KILLER cool
  • look here - great place for only WSM

Havent used my WSM in a while - if think of any more tip sill post back.

Reactions: Chasec5308
Thanks for the help! i think i may have used too many starter coals. Almost a chimney full. And im using the minion method. I may be using too many coals in general. Im shooting for 225-250 degrees

yup, for a minion I think i was down to like a dozen??? I had a 14" WSM. A full chimney was too many for sure. I down sized to the small chimney and counted the coals for minion starts.

the seal kits come in a variety too. you can seal the lid, the base to middle, door etc. I did the bottom to the center tube and the side door. my lid was tight. but depends - i could see smoke leaking for these spots so it was easy and worked great!

You loaded too much hot charcoal for a low temp smoke. The amount of cold charcoal doesn't matter.

I load my charcoal basket full regardless of my desired chamber temp. I bury the chunks in the charcoal. No wood on top. Burying the wood preheats it and gives a cleaner burn. If any charcoal is left over after the smoke, reuse it.

With KBB, that I used for decades before switching to RO Ridge, I'd fire up no more than 1/4 large chimney to add to the center of my pile for 225F smokes. I eventually developed the technique of keeping the lower vents all closed, top vent full open, then go do something for an hour. When I come back, the temp is usually in the 190-200 range. When the smoke is clean, which happens before 90 mins, load the meat even if you're not at your desired chamber temp. Reset the lower vents 1/8th to 1/4 open. The temp will rise and you can make slight adjustments once temps stabilize.

You've got the hot n fast load nailed!

If you ever try RO briquettes, fire up no more than 8-10 briquettes to add to the cold charcoal. RO is 25% denser the KBB, retaining more heat energy for a longer time. Same vent/coal/load technique.

BTW, there are as many startup techniques as there are WSM pit owners.

Reactions: Swashbuckler BBQ
I start with a whole lit chimney and run the bottom 3 vents about 1/4th open or the width of a pencil. Then I usually have to turn one vent shut. It runs 250-260 very consistently for me. The only issue I have is when I take something off to wrap about halfway though it jumps up to 300, but I think I just need to do about a half lit chimney to stop that

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky