Triple D!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One word for the cook - Outstanding !

Now a question please. I've heard of cooking in those cream jugs.  I assume it's a pressure cooking situation.  How do ya vent to prevent overpressure?

It's a low pressure cook, yes if you aren't paying attention you could blow the lid off. There is a little hole in the lid that vents the steam. Once you see the steam coming out the hole it's time to reduce heat and let it do it's thing. Doesn't take much heat to keep it going. I've never blown a lid, but someone must have since there's a chain attaching the lid to the pot! Kind of like that sign in the side of the highways here, "DO NOT PASS SNOW PLOWS ON RIGHT". Some one had to have done that it the sign wouldn't be there!

Can you give some back story about how you came upon this recipe?  I've never heard of a 7 bone roast before.  Do you have to special request that?  What the heck is it?  This whole thing seems so different than the regular posts on this forum, I'd love to hear you talk a little more in detail about it!

Can you give some back story about how you came upon this recipe?  I've never heard of a 7 bone roast before.  Do you have to special request that?  What the heck is it?  This whole thing seems so different than the regular posts on this forum, I'd love to hear you talk a little more in detail about it!
Sorry a bit late to answer this, for some reason the forum didn't notify me of the post. The 7-bone roast is from the section of the steer or heifer and it includes a cross cut of the shoulder blade. The bone is shaped like a "7",which gives the steak its name. It is sold here in every supermarket that I shop at. I usually don't have to ask for it. It is typically right with the chuck roasts and is a $1-$2 cheaper per pound than chuck. It is a tougher cut of beef so low and slow and braising in liquid is perfect for a 7 bone roast. So the cold smoke and Cream Can Cook combines the best of both worlds for this roast. You'll end up with a fall apart roast, so good. Now if one didn't have a Cream can, you could cold smoke, then transfer to a crock pot on low for all day, or into a covered dutch oven and place in the oven set at 170-200 and do the same thing.

Where did you get the cream can? I'm guessing it's a piece of actual kitchen equipment and not a cast off from a dairy judging by the polished stainless.

EDIT: never mind. Found them on Amazon. Looks like a cool thing to have. This list of things I desperately need is getting too long.

Last edited:
Where did you get the cream can? I'm guessing it's a piece of actual kitchen equipment and not a cast off from a dairy judging by the polished stainless.

EDIT: never mind. Found them on Amazon. Looks like a cool thing to have. This list of things I desperately need is getting too long.
Yep, it's a great thing to have. I take it camping to make roasts up in the woods. Use it at home all the time for making slow cooked foods quickly. We have a large one, 5 gallon, but it doesn't get used much anymore. The 2 1/2 gallon one is perfect size. If you get one make sure and get a stainless one from Ogallala and not the aluminum one that requires gaskets and latches for the lid. I ordered mine directly from Ogallala Cream Can Supper company and they were great to deal with.

http://www.ogallalacreamcansupper.com/

Thread jack mode on...

So my wife is watching triple D on tv two days ago and calls me into the garage where she is working out and asks me if I know the guy bring profiled on the show. I look at the dude and say nope never seen him before. I keep watching and the host of the show calls him by his name and bingo yup I used to work with him about ten years ago!

So yesterday I go into work and this same guy is in the main kitchen prepping some stuff for some event he's doing... I'm like dude I just saw you on tv yesterday!!! We catch up on old times and talk about former coworkers, after the Japan tsunami we are all working elsewhere.

Thread jack mode off... ;)

Thread jack mode on...

So my wife is watching triple D on tv two days ago and calls me into the garage where she is working out and asks me if I know the guy bring profiled on the show. I look at the dude and say nope never seen him before. I keep watching and the host of the show calls him by his name and bingo yup I used to work with him about ten years ago!

So yesterday I go into work and this same guy is in the main kitchen prepping some stuff for some event he's doing... I'm like dude I just saw you on tv yesterday!!! We catch up on old times and talk about former coworkers, after the Japan tsunami we are all working elsewhere.

Thread jack mode off... ;)
How about I Thread jack my own thread. Blowing and snowing here all day, wish I was in Kailua-Kona right now! Forecast is for a low of 2°f tonight and a high of 10° tomorrow. Currently have 5" of snow.

This morning:

This afternoon:

Could you send some of that this way? We haven't had a decent rain in two and a half months!

This was yesterday...

1820614b36e47fc20708fd4140fd1025.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky