Tripe Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
One of the best hangover cure. Delicious when you are sober too.

Broth made with beef bones: as little meat as possible. No vegetables. Whole peppercorn , bay leaf, salt and some vinegar-that's it.

If green tripe clean , blanch, slice. If dressed just rinse and slice (if not sliced).

Cook tripe in broth-dressed tripe cooks fast (its already cooked actually). Green tripe will take a while. Is also more intense.

When the tripe is almost ready saute a grated carrot in a pan. Add to the tripe soup. Mince 4-6 garlic cloves in the soup. Let it boil just a little. Add some vinegar if needed.

Mix 3 egg yolks (for 2-3L of soup) with a cup of heavy cream. Temper. Add to soup. Let it cook a little bit (no boil). Serve with hot peppers.

Critical step:
1. Dont use vegetables or meaty bones for broth. While they taste good, you dont want that component here. You only want garlic and tripe taste.
2. The yolk-heavy cream finish gives it a luscious feel and look.

Make enough and forget about the main course.

20210116_175915-1.jpg

Looks delicious. With a large Hispanic population in our little town tripe is routinely available. Several restaurants serve menudo.

Reactions: tallbm
Interesting. Grandma made Tripe in a Stew. I was a kid and Honeycomb Tripe doesnt look like anything you are supposed to eat, to a Kid!...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Have had fried tripe and it's delicious when it's hot. When it cools down I believe you can use it as decking material.

Looks good , the only way I ever had tripe is in like a spicy spaghetti sauce. Got to say never seen nothing like yours around here.

Man I haven't had good tripe in years. My mom would make it for Dad and me, we were the only ones in the house that would eat it. We're Italian and Mom would make it in a tomato-based kinda spicy stew. It was a little thinner than a regular stew but it potatoes and cannellini beans. Brings back memories! :emoji_blush:

Yeah....most tripe recipes out there have some form of tomatoes in it. This is a little different on that note. It's interesting that most dishes can be found in different regions with little variation. Where i come from this soup is on almost every restaurant menu, yet i havent seen it anywhere else.

If you don't gag at the sight of tripe i guarantee you'll love this.

Had tripe soup many times when mom was a live. Lots of pepper. Loved it. Have the recipe but so far did not succeed. Isn't that the way? Mabey try again but wait till wife is gone. Lol.

My mom got me addicted to tripe in the middle and late 50's.
She used to serve me Campbells "pepperpot" soup, which I found out later was sort of a Menudo soup with tripe.
It was a sad day when they stopped selling it.

My mom got me addicted to tripe in the middle and late 50's.
She used to serve me Campbells "pepperpot" soup, which I found out later was sort of a Menudo soup with tripe.
It was a sad day when they stopped selling it.
Yeah, I didn't have much use for tripe as a kid, but boy do I wish Mom was here to make it for me one more time!! My sisters and I would prefer to go hungry on days that Mom would make the tomato based tripe for supper. But, like other things, you grow up, the palate expands, you learn from the may diverse tastes that are represented on this great forum! I just may need to dig out the old Slovenian recipe and give it a go someday. Thanks Mom!!!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky