Tri-tip: Two Good to be True

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
First off, I do know the proper usage of to, two, and too. This title is a dad joke. A while back I spotted an enormous marinated tri-tip at Costco. Unlike a lot of regions tri-tip is plentiful here. So I grabbed it thinking I hit the jackpot. I fired up
My smoker yesterday to cook my first brisket and since I had the space I thought I’d put a little smoke on this big boy and then do a classic reverse sear. However…

382E561C-5EEC-49F0-ACF7-08FFF5F8E4A4.jpeg
When I opened it to my great disappointment, and for the first time ever in grilling tri-tip for 30 years, there were two of them, both substandard. The butcher should have thrown these into the grinder instead of cheating.

The timing turned out to be great because now I could do a brisket smoke on a tri-tip. I trussed it up and into the smoker it went.

1133C4AA-0D69-4C78-BFFE-E19B1B85AF4A.jpeg

It joined my brisket and a couple small corned beef chunks.

0A50E3B6-F107-40DE-A139-6B7836DDD537.jpeg
With all these probes everywhere the Yoder looked like a meat hospital. About 6 hours later it was probe-tender and into the holding oven it went.

C1D59666-14FF-4774-A3FA-EA6129AB2948.jpeg
It gave me an ample amount of liquid gold!

417B796D-A538-4CAB-9670-82C9DEC3DE22.jpeg
I put the wonder juice into a separator as the fat is just too much. And, as you’ll see…

06D11B8B-41EC-4279-AB30-AF5F377829F0.jpeg
…the meat crumbles will tell you parts went a bit too far and it overcooked. It tasted almost on-par with the brisket. In fact, because of the smaller size and being empty nesters, this may make a reasonable substitute. This is how I wanted my brisket to turn out. However, I still prefer tri-tip grilled to rare. My magic spot is 121 degrees because it still has a lot of “moo” in it.

Last edited:
What a travesty Sven. for the butcher to put a label on it like that is sinful. I just hope you didn't pay full tri tip price for it. Still though, looks like it came out OK and you have tons of options with the meat.

My magic spot is 121 degrees because it still has a lot of “moo” in it.
I'm with you buddy :emoji_wink: Mine tend to go upper 120's to appease Tracy but that still gives me plenty of moo on my plate. Red juicy center and lots of liquid "gold" on the plate for sopping up with fresh rolls or bread.

Robert

I'm with you buddy :emoji_wink: Mine tend to go upper 120's to appease Tracy but that still gives me plenty of moo on my plate. Red juicy center and lots of liquid "gold" on the plate for sopping up with fresh rolls or bread.

Robert
I’m especially fond of steak tartare and very fond of some delicious German hackepeter. Take raw meat, mix in a raw yolk, some raw onions and capers, what could go wrong? Haha!

Great Adaptation! Really impressive.

I avoid the pre-seasoned ones for the reason you mentioned. Bought once, and that was one too many.
Haha! I go both ways on the marinated ones. I love a classic SPOG with a little Lawry’s or another favorite rub. But some days their Steakhouse is like crack, just like their $5 rotisserie chickens. But I do have to say, you totally know what you’re getting if you get a plain one because you can see all of it.

Was it actually a Costco butcher? We see marinated TTs here once in a while and they're usually from a second party. I've never tried one as I'm afraid of spending money on a marinated hunk of meat that I won't like. It looks like you overcame and conquered. I really like the crumbles and they make a great addition to hash as well as good nibbling food.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Was it actually a Costco butcher? We see marinated TTs here once in a while and they're usually from a second party. I've never tried one as I'm afraid of spending money on a marinated hunk of meat that I won't like. It looks like you overcame and conquered. I really like the crumbles and they make a great addition to hash as well as good nibbling food.

Point for sure
Chris
I stand corrected. It probably was not a Costco butcher but a vendor. I’ve bought them for years. This the first time I got a bag of scraps.

I buy those TT all the time and never had a double like that……. In fact had one tonight…… we like our TT @ 140…..this one was pretty much spot on…. Smoked it at 265 for 60min seared 5 mins per side then finished in the house oven @ 425 till IT 135 then rest….
2659EE22-A145-4A05-88FC-6F77E9D61189.jpeg

PS …..Idaho meat and potatoes!!!! The perfect meal!!!!

I’m especially fond of steak tartare
So...interesting story on steak tartare...

The Tartars way back in history were a nomatic tribe which used horses extensively. They would overwhelm villages when they would make raids and would kill every animal they came across. They would butcher these animals and slice the meat into thin 1" steaks. They would them place these strips of meat under their saddles. As they rode, their weight on the saddle along with the rocking motion of the running horse would tenderize the meat. The temperature under the saddle would accelerate the enzymatic breakdown of the proteins and fats. The meat would not spoil, because as the horse ran, the horse would sweat profusely and the nitrates in the horse sweat would cure the meat. Wherever the Tartars stopped for the night the next day, they would consume the meat under their saddles. This is how Steak Tartar came into being. And that is a true history lesson.....

So...interesting story on steak tartare...

Love that story, original meat tenderizer. I always wondered how things come about , and how the first person or group thought about , " " " This is a good idea lets try that and see what it tastes like. " ha ha like throw an ugly lobster on the coals and than break it open and eat it.

Great story Keith, thank you

David

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That was a great save with that TT. I would have been pissed at the butcher too. Never tried a TT like a brisket, just couldn’t bring myself to cook it past rare. But you sure did a good job with it!
Al

I like it mooing too , but no way would I turn that down . Looks really good from here . Like Chris said , makes great hash .

Good job making it work, looks great. I’d be pissed cutting open that package and finding two pieces. That said I’ve intentionally done a tri tip like a brisket and loved it.

They probably first put it under there to keep the flies away. I’ve never heard that one nor given a second thought to the name.
Actually.....the roman soldiers did something similar. they would hang thin cut steaks around their shoulders in contact with their skin under each arm, then put their clothes and armor on top....then march. Same effect without the tendering from the weight of the saddle.

Actually.....the roman soldiers did something similar. they would hang thin cut steaks around their shoulders in contact with their skin under each arm, then put their clothes and armor on top....then march. Same effect without the tendering from the weight of the saddle.
So you could say the Romans were the originators of pit beef

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky