Tri Tip Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Tri Tip seems to be a hot topic lately and I cooked my first one this weekend. Yoder pellet grill set on 250 and the tri tip was at 130 to 140 within an hour (no additional smoke from the AMPS on this cook.) Since this was my first I really didn't know that to expect but the top side was still red but the bottom was starting to get a nice color - I did use a temp probe to monitor internal temps. Since it had already exceeded the temp I was shooting for (130) I pulled it, swapped the Yoder to sear mode with the searing plates, cranked it up to 500 and then I did a sear to the triangle chunk. Pulled it, covered it for about 20 minutes and then we threw it on the cutting board and sliced it, cross grain. The middle was medium rare with the tip being medium well. Flavor was spot on but it had a bit more chew than we would have liked. This was a select grade from Sams (2 pack - I froze the other to cook later). Did I do something wrong that might have made this tri tip chewy? We absolutely loved the flavor. Maybe I just need to buy a better grade of meat? I do plan to cook the next one slower and add some smoke and I will be planning to sear at the end - that's something I hadn't planned on when I cooked this one. Anyone got a suggestion to help make it more tender?

250 for your initial smoke might have been a bit high, when I reverse sear I drop down to 180, to give it more time to pickup smoke and color.

As for tenderness, Tritip isn't that melt in your mouth filet or even ribeye tender, more like a good strip.

But tritips are also complicated to slice, if you found the grain and the angle to slice to go across it, then sliced the entire thing in that direction part of it was likely not sliced across the grain. There are two completely separate grain directions on a tri-tip. The easiest way is to slice it in halve at the intersection of the two grains, then rotate and slice each section across the grain.

Tritip is very unforgiving of overcooking, and as you pass 130, it starts to toughen up pretty quickly. You didn't way what you final IT was but sounds like it was definitely over 130.

The good news it sounds like you were real close on your first try, had a good meal, and got another one in the freezer to practice on, it is really hard to beat the beefy flavor of a tritip that is for sure!

Agreed, look for 'choice'. We usually smoke ours on low (180-200º) for approx 2 hours or until the IT in the thickest section is 120-123º (it will not look done at this point). We pull and let it rest for 10 min (which allows the meat IT to stabilize) then place on a hot sear grill for 3 min per side, followed by resting on the cutting board for 15 min.

Reactions: mike5051
I don't sear my tri tip at all. I smoke them around 230 until it reaches 133 and then pull. Wrap in foil just like brisket or pork butt and let it rest on the counter for at least 30 minutes. It's generally a perfect medium rare at this point. As mentioned earlier it's not supposed to be like a perfect brisket that just melts when you chew it. Tri Tip has a chew to it but not excessively so. I did try the brisket style where you take it to 190, which sounds insane I know. That just didn't turn out the way that I wanted but many on the forum have had fantastic results with this method. If you went a bit lower with your temp and then pass on the searing it is really a very tasty meat. It does not take long to smoke one. An hour or hour and a half are not uncommon cooking times. It usually takes on a nice amount of smoke for me in the OKJ. Don't worry about the grade of your cut. Just give my method a try on your second piece and see if you don't like it a bit better.

George

Tri tip is an interesting cut of meat that changes with the final temp reached. I thought I knew all there was to know about tri tip until this year. That's all changed.
1. For low final temps (115-135F IT): This was my primary target for decades. I still do 2-4 tri tips a month. Got two thawing in the fridge as I type. Choice or Prime grades at this final temp range definitely make for a more tender chew. Select grade works, but slice it as thin as possible. All cuts should be against the grain, which can change directions in the same roast.
2. Medium final temps (150-160F IT): I never dreamed of trying this until tasting a relative's tri tip earlier this year. It melted in my mouth and was grilled on a gas grill then finished in the oven to 160F IT. I've since done it with Select grade TTs, both on the grill and the smoker. The TT was more tender than I ever imagined possible at that final IT.
3. High final temps (190F IT): Smoked at 225F, wrapped in butcher paper at five hours, and kept on the smoker until 190F IT. I've done Select grades at this level and it was incredibly tender and juicy. Tasted like brisket, not TT.

I experimented and smoked #s 2 and 3 on the same day with two different roasts in my smoker. My wife prefers the lower temp, steak-like TT, which she wraps in flour tortillas with roasted veggies. I am a convert to #3. The two in the fridge will be done like #1 and #3, one for her, one for me.

That is some good info no boundaries, I love reverse seared over a greek salad, But I might have to give 2 and 3 a shot, the next time we travel to an area where Tri-Tips are more common. #2 really blows me away, I would have thought it would be tough as heck, I guess all that moisture in Tri-Tip helps.

BTW, might as well mention it for anyone reading this thread that is doing their first Tri-Tip, best to use a cutting board with a drain channel, Tri-Tip is the juiciest cut of meat I have ever sliced. If you use a regular cutting board your counter, and perhaps the floor will look like a crime scene ... Ask me how I know :-)

Thanks for all your suggestions and help - It's what I love about this forum. All great suggestions from a diverse range of experience. I will have to try them all! Keep 'em coming as I will be embarking on another Tri Tip in a couple of weeks (got to go earn a living for a while) but the smoker will fire up again in 2 weeks and I will probably start with that tri tip that's in my freezer :)

I cooked a TT to 190 this summer. It was tender and juicy and very tasty. But at almost 2X the price of brisket, I probably wouldn't do again.

Last edited:
I cooked a TT to 190 this summer. It was tender and juicy and very tasty. But at almost 2X the price of brisket, I probably wouldn't do again.

Tri tip prices have jumped obscenely in the past 2-3 years. $1.99/lb or less for Choice was common out west for a long time. Now I stock up on Select when I see $2.98/lb. Choice and Prime are in the $6-9/lb range. Costco Prime briskets at $3.49/lb are the only cuts that can compete.

Thanks. I never even see select tri tips in the Bay Area any more, but I'd pick a few up to cook to higher temps if they were ~$3. Maybe I'll look for them at Cash&Carry. I usually get choice or prime from Costco for $6-8 and I'm not cooking those past med-rare :)

Man you guys are killing me... Although I haven't had the gumption to try a 190' IT noboundaries style, I have never had a tough or chewy cash and carry select grade tri-tip. I definitely do NOT recommend searing before or after roasting. But a long wrap and rest is most ideal to seal in those juices and keep it tender. Don't try so hard to get a bark or seared crust. I like 300' pit temp which gives a great color, and plenty of smoke and 133-135 IT. Spin them on a rotisserie = my favorite.

Man you guys are killing me... Although I haven't had the gumption to try a 190' IT noboundaries style, I have never had a tough or chewy cash and carry select grade tri-tip.

Just to be clear, Matty7 is the first person who suggested the 190F brisket style cook for tri tip. I followed his directions, fighting decades of 115F-135F tri tip muscle memory and instinct. Got two Select grade TTs in the WSM right now, trimmed down to about 3 lbs each. Dry brined for 12 hours with a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning. In the smoker with a couple chunks of mesquite. Still debating whether I'm going to take one off at 150-160F IT or wrap them both and take them to 190F. We'll see how hungry I am at lunch.

001.JPG

Just to be clear, Matty7 is the first person who suggested the 190F brisket style cook for tri tip. I followed his directions, fighting decades of 115F-135F tri tip muscle memory and instinct. Got two Select grade TTs in the WSM right now, trimmed down to about 3 lbs each. Dry brined for 12 hours with a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning. In the smoker with a couple chunks of mesquite. Still debating whether I'm going to take one off at 150-160F IT or wrap them both and take them to 190F. We'll see how hungry I am at lunch.

View attachment 373800
Ray,

Those Tri Tips already have my mouth watering. Enjoy that lunch!

George

I just know those are going to be great Ray! I cant remember, what is your preferred cook temp? Also do you flip yours through the cook?
I spun one on Saturday, and I got 2 slices for dinner, but mamma didn't share one single bite of the leftovers! I cornered her about that and she grinned and said it has been great for packing for her lunch! Can you make another one please? I have another one thawing to spin on the roti again this evening. Btw, I seasoned this last batch with a combination of Montreal Seasoning and 1/2 packet of McCormick's Brazillian Steakhouse. WOW!

These rotisserie Tri-tips Ive been doing are all open-pit because I don't have a ring for my mini to put the lid on. I pull at 133-135, but I imagine I could continue to spin it for longer and higher IT, even if I wrap it in foil and continue to spin.

I just know those are going to be great Ray! I cant remember, what is your preferred cook temp? Also do you flip yours through the cook?
I spun one on Saturday, and I got 2 slices for dinner, but mamma didn't share one single bite of the leftovers! I cornered her about that and she grinned and said it has been great for packing for her lunch! Can you make another one please? I have another one thawing to spin on the roti again this evening. Btw, I seasoned this last batch with a combination of Montreal Seasoning and 1/2 packet of McCormick's Brazillian Steakhouse. WOW!

These rotisserie Tri-tips Ive been doing are all open-pit because I don't have a ring for my mini to put the lid on. I pull at 133-135, but I imagine I could continue to spin it for longer and higher IT, even if I wrap it in foil and continue to spin.
Just another reason to get that rotisserie attachment for my future Weber kettle.

George

Just another reason to get that rotisserie attachment for my future Weber kettle.

George

You're right George. I will likely get one for my Kettle some day, but the Mini WSM is SOOO efficient and perfect for a single bird or roast. Even without a lid. I may end up making a ring for it since no one sells a ring for the mini. Plus I take it camping so the portability aspect is important for me.

tt.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Erik,

First, I don't flip. Just let them do their thing. I do the first part of the smoke at 225 or so. My WSM will stay rock solid at 225F until the sun hits it, then it climbs by 15-20 degrees. I just let it go.

Below are the TTs just before I pulled the slightly smaller one off (your right, or left side of the picture). 4 hrs 20 minutes and the IT was exactly 160F on the instant read. It is resting now under foil and a heavy towel.

I wrapped the other in butcher paper. The chamber temp will probably climb into the 260s. Ooops, I just checked the temp and the lid burp when I took the one off bumped the chamber to 270F. I closed down one vent completely and barely cracked the other to bring the temp down. It really won't matter though. I'll check the meat's IT in 90 minutes or so to find that magic 190F IT. The below pic was not Photoshopped in any way. That's just how they looked in the sunlight.

002.JPG

Reactions: texomakid
Hey Erik,

First, I don't flip. Just let them do their thing. I do the first part of the smoke at 225 or so. My WSM will stay rock solid at 225F until the sun hits it, then it climbs by 15-20 degrees. I just let it go.

Below are the TTs just before I pulled the slightly smaller one off (your right, or left side of the picture). 4 hrs 20 minutes and the IT was exactly 160F on the instant read. It is resting now under foil and a heavy towel.

I wrapped the other in butcher paper. The chamber temp will probably climb into the 260s. Ooops, I just checked the temp and the lid burp when I took the one off bumped the chamber to 270F. I closed down one vent completely and barely cracked the other to bring the temp down. It really won't matter though. I'll check the meat's IT in 90 minutes or so to find that magic 190F IT. The below pic was not Photoshopped in any way. That's just how they looked in the sunlight.

View attachment 373824
They look delicious

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky