Tri Tip on my new kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
My wife got me an off-brand copy of the 22.5" Weber kettle for father's day. Still have a couple issues to resolve with customer service but it's much more serviceable than my 19 year old Weber 18" kettle. I'm cooking Tri Tip for the company picnic this Saturday and wanted to refine my recipe before cooking for 54 adults and 23 kids.
I want them rubbed 4 hours before hand but I only had 2 tonight.
Rub =
2 tsp salt
2 tsp CBP
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp crushed rosemary

Prepared a baste of 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar, minced garlic and a bit of dijon mustard
Got a large single stack of lump charcoal going, moved to 1 side of kettle.

Over HOT side I put the tri tip 4 minutes each side to get a good char. Moved to cooler side and inserted thermometer. Basted up side, let cook for 10 min covered. Flipped, basted, let cook another 10 min over cooler side covered. Flipped, basted, 5 min and did the same 1 more time. It got to 132° and I wanted to pull at 130. 130 is the target, wish I would of pulled just a little sooner but was delicious nonetheless. Let rest for about 12 minutes under foil. Temp got up to 142° while resting.

$5.99 lb at local butcher
sSurmWs.jpg

1X0hMTG.jpg

t4xAxDo.jpg

3nVIE7E.jpg

ztDutRR.jpg

Nice looking steak!
I have a feeling your going to be cooking for the company picnic every year!
And congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Can't see the images but I can visualize... your mop sounds interesting and something I might try on my next Tri Tip.
I assume you sliced it 1/4" or so? I have been wanting to buy a meat slicer so I can get really thin slices to serve as a slider.
$5.99 is good price... here in Georgia, it's typically $6.99-$7.49

Thanks for adding this to the carousel Al! I've been cooking for the company picnic for 6 years now, lol.

Wrob - I cut these a little thicker, a little over 3/8" to 1/2" but I think it was a bit too thick.

Just learned a better way to carve them, cutting the 2 angles apart and then cutting from the tip away. That's why you see the grain going with the cut in the picture on the carousel, I flip that 90° and then slice.

That's a beautiful piece of tri tip. It looks like it was cooked perfectly. You have quite a crowd to feed. I think you are going to need a lot more tri tips lol. Congrats on the new kettle.

George

It must be something blocking them from your browser. I use Imgur for image sharing. It's been the easiest way to get my pictures up since SMF went to the new forum.

I am pretty sure you are right. I am at work and going through a corporate server. I believe they have all public repositories blocked (including Imgur) as they are known to be a security risk. I found uploading the images directly was super easy, just different than it used to be before the upgrade.

Looks great congrats. However I feel pretty stupid I've been queing for 30 or more years and tri tip is something I've never seen here in South Louisiana . Anyone else see them or am I looking in the wrong spot. Restaurant Depot Sam's club or other places I shop at I've not seen it

Looks great congrats. However I feel pretty stupid I've been queing for 30 or more years and tri tip is something I've never seen here in South Louisiana . Anyone else see them or am I looking in the wrong spot. Restaurant Depot Sam's club or other places I shop at I've not seen it
Tri Tip is about as common as ground beef in So Cal. It's a smallish sirloin roast but apparently in the south they figure you just want brisket so why bother. It's a nicely marbled cut. Not as fatty as a brisket but enough fat to keep it super juicy and relatively easy to cook. I wouldn't pay an exorbitant price for one but if you can find one sometime that is less than say $6 a pound then give it a try.

George

Brent,

I've bought TTs from Rouses and Breaux Mart in the New Orleans area. I haven't seen them at Sams. I don't have access Restaurant Depot or Costco.

Mike

Looks like one tasty TT. Good luck with the company picnic that's quite the undertaking.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great looking TT. My local Sams has been stocking tt off and on so when they have it I grab them up. Last time they had “choice” for $4.79# AND “angus” for $5.89#. They also have premarinaded tt in a bag but way prefer fresh 2-2.5# roasts. Congrats on the new Weber and enjoy your massive tt grill-a-thon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky