tri tip help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokebuzz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 14, 2006
IOWA!!
I got a small comp i'm going to do and want to do a tri tip, what temp do you take it off? do you slice or pull?

Well, you can pull OR slice a brisket, and each way needs you to pull the meat off the smoker at different temps. for sliced brisket i believe the temp is about 165* and for pulled brisket you should pull off the brisket at 195 to 200. Hope that helps! Good luck with that comp!

OK, i see where a tri tip might not be something you would take to pulling temp , but a lot less done as you might a good steak. what will the judges say if you turn'd in a peice of meat cooked med. rare to med done?

now I feel like a big dummy
icon_redface.gif
I read tri-tip and thought Brisket...how embarrasing

Cook the Tri-Tip like a good steak. I like to do it on direct heat on my Weber Grill. About 10 to 12 minutes per side will do the trick. Approx. 140* to 145* internal will be great. I especially like Steve Raichlen's recipe. He uses a rub consisting of:

2 tsp coarse salt (kosher or sea)
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled between you fingers
1 sp dried oregano

Rub the tri-tip down well with the ingredients and let it set while getting the grill started. Do the 10 to 12 minute per side thing and you'll really enjoy the result. And by the way, this recipe can be found on page 184 of Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA 425 Fiery Recipes from all across America. It's a really good book of recipes and I recommend it. Also, when you pull the entree from the grill, let it set for about five minutes and slice perpendicular to the grain on a 45* slant.

Hello there,

Tri Tip is usually sliced and temperature at the time of removal is 132 * and then let to rest for medium rare. This is a very popular cut around the Santa Maria/ Lompoc ares of so. Cal. They usually serve it as a sandwich on a roll, with sauce on the side. Al in all, good luick and enjoy yourself.

Bingo!

Tri-tip is one of my favourite cuts but can be a bit expensive up here in Canada. It's got a rich beefy flavour, but should be served at most medium doneness. I believe it's normally cooked directly using medium heat over red oak and taken off medium rare to rest. There's not a ton of fat in it so tenderness is achieved by the rareness of the meat. Sliced thinly across the grain and served on a buttered roll and you're good to go.

Santa Maria Rub

3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I havent eaten a tri tip since i lived in Lompoc many years ago! Y'all are making me hungry!!!

I've cooked dozens of tri-tips on the grill and it is a great cut no doubt. I want to try smoking a tri-tip the low and slow way and was wondering if anyone had anyexperience or suggestions in doing so.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tri-tips are great. We roll ours in dry rub and grill it. I smoked one when i first got my smoker. it was ok but i think i will still like mine grilled. Next time I will smoke it a bit and then finish at a higher temp on the grill. It usually has a bit of fat on one side. We grill it w/ that up so it doesnot flame up and the juices go into the meat. Same doneness temps as a steak. Take it off 10 degrees before the doneness you want, wrap it in foil and let the careover temp take it to the final temp. We mix sourcream, dill and horshradish together for a dipping sauce.....mmmmmmmmm good.

Low And Slow Works Great With Tri-tips I Do Them The Same As Briskrt But Reduce Times About Half. I Foil After Two Hoursat 250 And Pull It Out At About 140, Wildcat

I finally got around to trying a tri tip roast.

Wow these things are good.

I just rubbed it down with little salt and pepper. Put in on the smoker at 250 and pulled at 155. Wrapped and let rest for approx 30 minutes.

Ended up with a lovely medium rare, still pink and juicy. These things have the best flavor with little to no seasoning.

I will be doing more of these soon.

~dustin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky