Travellin with "Tom"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

perryb

Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
Southgate Michigan
Okay you experts, Im smoking a turkey 12lb this Thursday and Im taking it to a family function which is about 45 minutes away from my home. What do I have to do to keep the turkey safe and not have food safety issues?

Question.

I have a very l;arge aluminum raosting pan with lid that will fit my turkey.

I need to keep the turkey safe for a couple hours after I pull from the grill (transport plus uncertaintity on other dishes.

So, is foil the only way to keep warm, or could I preheat the roaster pan and put the turkey (and drippings) in then seal that , wrap in towels and put in a large ice chest? Will that keep it as warm as wrapping the bird in foil? (Or should I do both).

I would have a pan under the turkey while it is on the grill if possible so the bird and the juice become separate from each other. Then pour and store the drippings in something that you reheat it with at your destination. The towels are acting as insulation and should be next to the turkey keeping the heat in.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Just to add to the suggestions of using a cooler, one of the things I use when I take food for tailgating is a hotbox. I put 3 or 4 bricks wrapped in foil in the oven @ 350deg for an hour ahead of time. Then I wrap them in a towel, and put them in the bottom of the cooler, another towel, then in goes the food, and a towel on top. Keeps food hot for a good long time, easily 45 minutes for your trip. It will continue to cook a little bit in the "cooler", so factor that in.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SO if I pull at 160-165 Breast temp (175 thigh) then wrap in foil.
Wrap that in towels in an ice chest.

How long will it be safe for serving?
Seems like it should stay above 140 deg for several hours right?

SO if I pull at 160-165 Breast temp (175 thigh) then wrap in foil.
Wrap that in towels in an ice chest.

How long will it be safe for serving?
Seems like it should stay above 140 deg for several hours right?
Yes, it will stay hot for hours. I transported 2 butts in cooler for 2 hours and 100 miles. I let the probe in and plugged it in before removing the butts and it was 1 degree colder that when i took it out of the smoker. I'm sure the temp rose when I first took it out but you get the idea.

Immediately after you take it out of the smoker wrap it in foil and put in a cooler with with an old bath towel or 2. It will stay hot for 3-4 hours.
"Tom" stayed warm the whole trip using your suggestion. I will use this method from now on as it was easy and the towels kept the bird from moving in the cooler. Thanks again. Helpful to have this forum for guys like me who just want reassurance we are doing the right thing.

Nice JOB Todd and JWeller!...
points.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky