Trail bologna problem and question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi. I know this is an older post, but did the OP ever figure out the issue? I have had this happen two times. Exactly as pictured on fresh, 2 day old bologna. I use, tender quick, garlic powder, red and black pepper, onion powder and mustard seed. I was marinating 24 hours and I was smoking on higher temps for shorter durations up to 165-170° about 3 hours to temp. I tried slowing it down and stair stepping my temps, now at about 5 hours and I am marinating 8 hours. I start the smoking process immediately and go the duration. The taste is amazing, I have people asking me to make it. To early to tell if I "fixed" the problem, just found this thread via search. Thanks!

This batch did it also. I guess I'll just switch to a kit from LEM... this flavor is amazing, but within 24-48 hours of slicing, it does this... 20191218_091730.jpg

It's oxidation around the cheese after slicing . If you're using a SS kit , find one the has sodium erythorbate in the mix . I use Owens for SS ( which has it in the mix ) but also buy it from Sausage maker .
If you are going to switch mixes , give Owens a try . You won't be sorry .
Good luck .

I had some venison given too me last year by a friend who had it processed at a local butcher shop. After a few days it looked worst green than that? Threw the rest out and still have the rest of the log in the freezer. I didn't trust it so I'm going to throw it out.

It's oxidation around the cheese after slicing . If you're using a SS kit , find one the has sodium erythorbate in the mix . I use Owens for SS ( which has it in the mix ) but also buy it from Sausage maker .

Thanks!! After reading the description of the Sodium Erythorbate (it is used in commercial kits such as LEM etc.) I am convinced you hit the nail 110% square on the head!! Much thanks to all of you!! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky