Traeger Timberline owners....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Diver Dennis P

Original poster
May 27, 2019
Any Timberline owners here? Wanted to know your thoughts, likes, dislikes. My wife said shes planning to order one for me, but I'm trying to do some research first.

Thanks
Dennis

I have the original 1300 and I am very happy with it. The new D2 versions are supposed to be much better. There are a number of options in the timberline price range, it all depends on what you are looking for. The Timberline has double wall construction, wifi and Traeger's support behind it. Some others are the MAK, Yoder, Pitts&Spitts, SmokinBrothers and Blaz'n Grill Works.

Reactions: Diver Dennis P
I just got a Traeger Timberline 850 for Father's Day, and I'm a newbie to pellet grills. Here's my question. I'm going to cook a whole chicken tonight. The recipe I have says, "Preheat your grill on 'smoke' for 4-5 minutes with the lid open. Set the temperature to high, and close the lid and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches 450 degrees." The Timberline 850 has a Super Smoke option that doesn't work above 225 degrees. So what do I do? Skip the "smoke" portion of the recipe and simply cook at 450? Or is there another option? Thanks.

My Timberline says to start the grill with the lid closed and that is the way I use it. If you want smoke flavor on you chicken I would start it up and 200° and let it heat soak for about 30 minutes. Then set it for SS and put your full chicken in. I would run it for about 1 hr on SS and the turn the temp up to 375° until the deep breast temp is about 165°. If you don't want smoke flavor just start and cook it at 375°.

Any Timberline owners here? Wanted to know your thoughts, likes, dislikes. My wife said shes planning to order one for me, but I'm trying to do some research first.

Thanks
Dennis
I own a Timberline 850. Got it new in April. Terrible customer support and the grill has never worked as advertised. It has been a nightmare for me.

Good Luck with your buying decision.

I own a Timberline 850. Got it new in April. Terrible customer support and the grill has never worked as advertised. It has been a nightmare for me.

Good Luck with your buying decision.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully not sorry about my purchase... we went for it and got the 1300. I'll be able to pick up next week sometime.

I just got a Traeger Timberline 850 for Father's Day, and I'm a newbie to pellet grills. Here's my question. I'm going to cook a whole chicken tonight. The recipe I have says, "Preheat your grill on 'smoke' for 4-5 minutes with the lid open. Set the temperature to high, and close the lid and preheat for an additional 10-15 minutes until it reaches 450 degrees." The Timberline 850 has a Super Smoke option that doesn't work above 225 degrees. So what do I do? Skip the "smoke" portion of the recipe and simply cook at 450? Or is there another option? Thanks.
The recipe your seeing is from a old cookbook or original Traeger recipe. The old elite controllers always started with the lid open for 4 minutes then close the lid and set the temperature on the grill. When you do a chicken on high it’s a roasted chicken, not smoked. It’s actually quite good that way. Your new grill you can just turn it on and set the temperature that you want. Skip the step with lid open.

I have a new Timberline 850 (with the D2 drive) and love it.

Getting the smoke I'm used to is a challenge -- but everything I've made with it has been fantastic -- ribs, chicken, pork butts, wings. I'm using a couple of smoke tubes -- and even the SmokeDaddy Heavy D -- and the smoke is pretty good. Not the same as what I was getting with my WSM -- but coming close.

I've also got the Smoke Daddy sear station -- with Grill Grates -- and the searing is fantastic. I've measured temps as high as 850F on the grates. I usually low smoke rib eyes for a couple hours -- until they reach 110F or so -- and then add the sear station and grill grates, get the temp up, and sear them to a nice 130/133F (only takes a minute or so per side.)

Fantastic! No complaints. Holds temps within a few degrees even in Chicago cold weather. (Super smoke temps vary a bit more -- as high as +/- 20 degrees -- but that's because the fan is going on and off at regular intervals.)

I've been using LumberJack pellets. A great smoker/grill.

I have a Traeger that my Home Depot was blowing out on clearance and I've received pretty fantastic support from them. That being said, if I were in the market for a higher end pellet grill today, I'd have a Weber SmokeFire on preorder from Lowes right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky