Traeger -- Salmon Smoking Question?!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tacotule

Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
I have a Traeger Texas Grill that is about 3 years old. It did not come with the digital temp control, but I was able to acquire one out of a new Lil' Tex.

I have been smoking fish on the SMOKE setting, but it has only been running around 110-120 degrees. Should I smoke at this low temp for x hours and then bump up the temp to the next setting of 180 degrees to finish cooking? Or should I just smoke for the entire time at the low temp?

Thanks for any advice, as smoking fish is new to me on this smoker.

Mark

welcome1.gif
  Glad to have you with us!

It depends on what your trying to accomplish.

For a for a nice flaky and juicy filet for dinner we smoke them at 225 and the only take 45 minutes to an hour.

For lox they are cold smoked for 6-8 hours and kept below 90 degrees.

Hey Mark

Welcome to SMF

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do???

Making LOX?

Smoking Fish to 140°

Your digital controller has a "P-Setting"

This will increase/decrease smoke and temp during the Smoke Setting.

Your SmokeSetting should be higher than 140°, or you run the risk of your smoker going out.

You could smoke your fish on the Smoke Setting for 3 hours, and then switch to the 180° Setting to finish.

Here's a pic of one of my gadgets inside my New pellet pro Smoker

99235cf2_DSCF3563.jpg

You can use this to generate smoke separately from your controller

Todd

Hey Al,

Thanks for your posts to my other thread about fish safety. i schooled myself on the brine thing, and found some tender Quick so I'll be good to go. I really liked you idea here about a quick smoke for a dinner filet. Do you brine those as well, even if its in the smoker for such a short time? I also just pulled my trial batch and it was quite nice, however, the edges did get a little over done. Do you recommend a water pan? I did mine without, and it was fine... but I always like to get things better if I can. Thanks- John

Leave it on smoke. the temp will go up and down by about ten degrees or so. Your salmon will take about 3 to 4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky